Bennett strikes first to ease Forest nerves

Click to follow
The Independent Football

Managerial changes at international and Premiership level make the bigger headlines, but the turnover of hot-seat incumbents in the lower divisions often takes the breath away. The League One manager arguably under greatest pressure to deliver is Nottingham Forest's Colin Calderwood and he was grateful to Julian Bennett's 10th-minute far-post strike at the City Ground as Forest earned a narrow 1-0 win over Bradford City.

Calderwood quit Northampton Town after promotion to take over at Forest and the Cobblers' new manager, John Gorman, saw the promoted side come back twice to earn a 2-2 draw at relegated Crewe Alexandra.

Of the other clubs relegated to League One, Millwall, under new manager Nigel Spackman, saw Darren Byfield's late goal earn a 1-1 draw at the New Den with Yeovil, also under new stewardship, Russell Slade's, while Brighton won 1-0 at Rotherham United despite being down to 10 men for the second half after Dean Cox's second caution.

Promoted as League Two champions, Carlisle United made light of their lofty new status with a 1-0 defeat of Doncaster Rovers, Paul Murray scoring after four minutes, and Cheltenham Town had an excellent win, 2-1 at Swansea City, who reached the League One play-offs last May. But reality bit Leyton Orient as they went down 3-0 at Port Vale, Leon Constantine scoring twice.

Eight days after Ronnie Moore left his job as manager of Oldham Athletic he joined Tranmere Rovers, and his first League One opposition at Prenton Park, naturally, turned out to be Oldham, where John Sheridan had replaced him. Moore had the greater satisfaction, Chris Greenacre scoring the game's only goal as Rovers won.

Brentford, unsuccessful in the League One play-offs for the previous two seasons under Martin Allen, have a new manager, Leroy Rosenior, and he stung the Bees into action as they beat Blackpool 1-0 thanks to a second-half strike by Olafur Ingi Skulason.

Allen, of course, has been League Two's most intriguing appointment in the close season as manager of relegated MK Dons and "Mad Dog" will have been pleased by his new side's redoubtable defeat of Bury. Reduced to 10 men when goalkeeper Adolfo Baines was sent off after 37 minutes, Izale McLeod scored twice as the Dons shook the Shakers, 2-1.

Hereford United, back in the League after nine years battling to escape the Conference, won 2-0 at Stockport County while Grimsby Town, under new boss Graham Rodger, came from 2-0 down to beat Boston United 3-2.

Two relegated sides met at Victoria Park as Swindon Town earned their first three League Two points under new manager Dennis Wise when they beat Hartlepool United 1-0, Lee Peacock on target after 11 minutes. But Pool's new manager, Danny Wilson, will feel aggrieved that his side missed two penalties.