Blackpool manager Paul Ince hit with five-match stadium ban for behaviour in Bournemouth game
The former England midfielder threw a bottle which struck a supporter
Tuesday 08 October 2013
Blackpool manager Paul Ince has been given a five-match stadium ban and a £4,000 fine over his behaviour following his side's match against Bournemouth on September 14.
The Football Association confirmed that an independent regulatory commission hearing found the former England midfielder guilty of using abusive and/or insulting words towards a match official, of behaviour towards a match official which constituted violent conduct and of using threatening words and/or behaviour towards a match official.
The match, which was refereed by Oliver Langford, ended in a 2-1 win for the Seasiders. Ince had been sent to the stands late on in the match for throwing a bottle which struck a supporter, an incident for which his assistant Alex Rae said on the day he had apologised for.
A charge of using threatening words and/or behaviour towards a match official against Rae was found not proven.
Ince had been fined £3,000 and warned as to his future conduct by an independent regulatory commission on August 16 following negative comments made to the media about the referee after his side's Capital One Cup match against Preston on August 5.
Blackpool won five of their opening six Championship matches but have since failed to win any of their past five.
The FA was not immediately willing to further expand on the reasons behind the ban for Ince when contacted by Press Association Sport, but a stadium ban is certainly at the severe end of the spectrum for punishments.
Steve Evans was handed a six-match stadium ban and fined £3,000 following an incident during his time as manager at Crawley on March 27, 2012.
He accepted the punishment after being found guilty of "using abusive and insulting words and behaviour" towards a female member of Bradford's staff, and had become Rotherham manager by the time the ban was imposed.
Jose Mourinho was also handed a two-match stadium ban by UEFA during his first spell at Chelsea following comments he made about referee Anders Frisk's conduct during the last 16 encounter with Barcelona in 2005.
The fallout from that game led to death threats being directed towards the Swede, who retired from officiating soon afterwards.
Blackpool released a statement following the FA announcement which read: "Blackpool Football Club acknowledges the decision of the Football Association and will now work closely with Paul and his coaching staff to ensure that the penalty imposed does not affect our short or long-term objectives.
"The club will be making no further comment at this stage."
Latest in Sport
Aaron Hernandez: American Football in the dock as NFL star player's murderous double life is revealed
Chelsea vs Manchester United: Why Blues are the least popular team in the league
Chelsea vs Manchester United combined XI: Thibaut Courtois or David De Gea? Juan Mata or Willian? Who makes our team?
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: Where are the tickets for the fight?
Chelsea transfer news: Jose Mourinho plays down news signings Nathan and Yoshinori Muto but talks up Ruben Loftus-Cheek
- 2 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 3 US? China? India? The 10 biggest economies in 2030 will be...
- 4 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling