Blackwell amazed by 'stupid' appointment of Dean for play-off final
Friday 22 May 2009
Sheffield United manager Kevin Blackwell has attacked the "stupid" appointment of referee Mike Dean for the Championship play-off final.
Dean has not taken charge of a match involving Blackwell's team since he sent off United defender Matthew Kilgallon in the Sheffield derby last October, which United lost 1-0. Blackwell said the decision to put Dean in control "throws common sense out of the window".
"I have not asked for the referee to be changed but I am waiting for an explanation for the stupidity of people in making this decision," he said. "Mike is a good referee but he had a poor game that day and everyone knows the controversy over the red card. Now he is going to have 40,000 United fans at Wembley who know that his last performance in front of us cost us the game. Everybody will be looking at him for a controversial decision. Imagine if he makes another cock-up – how stupid is that?"
Latest in Sport
- 1 This 'woman calls police to order pizza' story isn't going where you're expecting
- 2 Axe wielding man shot dead after attacking four New York policemen on busy street
- 3 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 4 Jimmy Carr's Oscar Pistorius joke goes a bit too far at the Q Awards
- 5 Ottawa shootings: Bruce MacKinnon's cartoon is the perfect tribute to soldier Nathan Cirillo
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Attacks on 'Ukip Calypso' show how skewed people’s priorities are
Poppy Appeal 2014: This is why I won't be wearing a red poppy this year