Bolton win but suffer more injury problems

Click to follow
The Independent Football

Bolton Wanderers moved into the fourth round of the Carling Cup last night with a 2-0 win over Gillingham, of the First Division, but they paid a heavy price for victory at the Reebok.

The Premiership side went ahead with a first goal for the club from the Greek Stelios Giannakopolous and one from Henrik Pedersen. But Bolton's success was marred by a hamstring injury to Emerson Thome, which leaves them short of defenders as Florent Laville is a long-term absentee.

Their manager, Sam Allardyce, said: "The injury has killed the night really. It just shows what can happen in games like this when you are looking forward to getting a victory. All of a sudden you pick up what doesn't look like a very serious injury, but one that may keep him out of Saturday's game [at Tottenham]."

Crystal Palace booked their place in the fourth round with a 3-1 win over 10-man Blackpool, who had their goalkeeper, Phillip Barnes, sent off early on at Bloomfield Road. With no back-up on the bench, the midfielder Gareth Evans went in goal, but he could do little to prevent the Eagles running out comfortable winners through two goals from Andy Johnson and a Dougie Freedman penalty. Keith Southern did manage a late consolation for Steve McMahon's side.

Southampton are through after safely negotiating a trip to Bristol City, of the Second Division. James Beattie set the Saints on their way in the first half away to before Brett Ormerod doubled the lead and the former Chelsea defender Graeme Le Saux got his first goal for his new club late on.

Wolves continued their recent improvement with an untroubled 2-0 win over Burnley at Molineux, the goals coming in the second half from Kenny Miller and Jody Craddock.

* Cardiff registered a comfortable 3-0 victory over Watford at Ninian Park last night. Robert Earnshaw scored the opener in the 32nd minute - the Welsh striker's 15th goal of the season - Tony Vidmar made it two after 77 minutes and the captain, Graham Kavanagh, completed the scoring with three minutes left as his side rose to within four points of the play-off places.