Brian Laws leaves Burnley
Wednesday 29 December 2010
Brian Laws has stepped down as the manager of Burnley at the request of chairman Barry Kilby.
Laws future was plunged into doubt following yesterday's home defeat at the hands of former club Scunthorpe, with operational director Brendan Flood confirming talks would be held over the 49-year-old's future.
But the club decided to part company with Laws sooner, confirming this afternoon he had been asked to step aside from his post.
Chairman Kilby said on the club's official website recent results were behind the decision as the Clarets' attempts to launch a promotion push continue to falter.
Kilby told www.burnleyfootballclub.com: "I have telephoned Brian today and have asked him to step down as manager of Burnley Football Club.
"Everyone is naturally disappointed and frustrated that recent results have not gone as we would have hoped.
"The board of directors has therefore decided that we need a fresh approach in order to achieve our goal of returning to the Premier League."
The club said a further statement would be released on Thursday.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 4 Hip hop is both racial and political, and for Iggy Azalea to suggest otherwise is insulting
- 5 Man hospitalised with pneumonia after downing eggnog at office Christmas party
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Rozanne Duncan: Ukip expels councillor for 'jaw-dropping' comments made in BBC TV interview
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
BBC director Danny Cohen: Rising UK antisemitism makes me feel more uncomfortable than ever
Alex Salmond has 'broken his word to the Scottish people' says Scottish Lib Dem leader