Championship Round-Up

Click to follow
The Independent Football

Eddie Lewis and Rob Hulse were on target for Leeds as they came from a goal down at Turf Moor to beat Burnley and move up to fourth. The Clarets went ahead on the hour when Ade Akinbiyi was tripped and Garreth O'Connor scored the penalty, his sixth goal of the season. Eleven minutes later Leeds were level, Lewis bending in a free-kick. Four minutes after that Lewis crossed and Hulse, back from injury, headed the winner. "Rob hasn't been able to train with us, but he put in a real big shift, culminating with the goal, and I'm delighted with him," Kevin Blackwell, the Leeds manager, said. But neither manager saw a reported scuffle in the tunnel between the players after the match.

Brighton 1 Cardiff City 2

Cardiff substitute Alan Lee had been on the pitch for about 30 seconds when he scored the 74th-minute goal that earned the Bluebirds the 2-1 win and dumped Brighton to the bottom of the table. Jason Koumas scored the Bluebirds' first, but Paul McShane appeared to have to earned a point with Brighton's equaliser. Then came manager David Jones's inspired substitution.

Derby County 2 Stoke City 1

A relieved Derby County manager, Phil Brown, saw Inigo Idiakez give his Rams the lead in the first minute of first-half injury time, but the Belgian Carl Hoefkens' first goal for the Potters levelled. Paul Peschisolido scored Derby's late winner. "After not having won for eight League matches when Paul's winner went in, it was fair to say I enjoyed it," Brown said.

Norwich City 1 Millwall 1

Championship reacclimatisation has not come easily to Norwich, and they were again on the back foot at Carrow Road where fast-improving Millwall went ahead after 22 minutes, Adrian Williams heading home. Dean Ashton made it 1-1 when Andy Marshall missed a cross but despite having Barry Hayles sent off and giving away a penalty, saved by Marshall, the Lions took a point.

Coventry City 1 Crystal Palace 4

Crystal Palace's improvement continued when they crushed Coventry. Darren Ward started the rout, firing in from 10 yards. Matt Heath levelled in first-half injury time but before the break Clinton Morrison headed Palace back in front. Goals by Ben Watson and Jon Macken completed the rout, City's Claus Jorgensen was sent off between the two strikes. Palace go up to fifth.

Crewe Alexandra 3 Luton Town 1

Perhaps third-placed Luton Town thought they had an easy task on their hands at Gresty Road, where Crewe were bottom of the table at the start. And so it must have seemed when the Hatters broke the deadlock after 29 minutes, Ahmet Brkovic breaking down the right and crossing for Dean Morgan's emphatic finish. But Crewe equalised eight minutes before the break when Billy Jones tidied up a goalmouth scramble by putting the ball in the net. Kenny Lunt's diving header met Luke Rodgers' cross to give Dario Gradi's side the lead two minutes from time and Luke Varney's injury-time strike made the three points safe. It was only Crewe's second win of the season, but it lifted them off the bottom and out of the relegation places.

Preston North End 1 QPR 1

After seven games at Deepdale this season Preston are still without a home win, but it could have been much worse for Billy Davies' side when Dan Shittu gave Rangers the lead late in the second half, heading in Kevin Gallen's corner. North End's French defender Youl Mawene headed an injury-time equaliser. "We are doing the best we can. That's all you can ask," Davies said.

Plymouth Argyle 1 Sheffield Wed 1

Generosity abounded when Paul Sturrock returned to his former club, Argyle's Hungarian defender Akos Buzsaky headed into his own net to give the Owls a lead. But Wednesday gave away a late penalty, converted by Paul Wotton. "The fans were very appreciative but a win would have been nice," Sturrock said. "I've got a lot of disgruntled players because of their thoughts on the penalty."