Championship Round-Up

Click to follow
The Independent Football

Barnsley 2 Southampton 2

George Burley, the Saints manager, reckoned his Polish striker, Grzegorz Rasiak, was "certainly a threat in this League" after the man he also managed at Derby scored twice to earn a point. Marc Richards gave Barnsley a first-half lead but two minutes into the second half Rasiak levelled the scores. Two debatable penalties were converted by Paul Hayes and Rasiak. "The aftertaste is still we should have won," the disappointed Tykes' assistant manager Rick Holden said.

Derby County 0 Norwich City 0

The Rams dominated the first half but could not break down the Canaries, whose defender Gary Doherty had an early goal disallowed for climbing on Derby's Steve Howard to reach a corner, before Howard hit the Norwich bar at the other end. "I thought it was an excellent away display," the visitors' manager, Nigel Worthington, said. "It is a great point." His opposite number, Billy Davies, was also satisfied. "It was a decent point," he said. "We showed good discipline to fight on until the end."

Luton Town 2 Stoke City 2

Both sides led in an even, competitive match, the Potters drawing first blood through Peter Sweeney's drive. Leon Barnett levelled for the Hatters and Richard Langley put them ahead with a penalty. But Luke Chadwick's goal earned Stoke a share of the spoils. Their manager, Tony Pulis, also thought his side should have had a spot-kick, while the Hatters manager, Mike Newell, was "satisfied with a point because we didn't start the game well."

Plymouth 1 Sheffield Wed 2

A very happy return to Home Park for Wednesday's former Argyle manager Paul Sturrock, as his injury-ravaged Owls earned a first win of the season. They fell behind to a Paul Wotton penalty, but despite having all five strikers out injured Wednesday fought back and substitute Sean McAllister and Burton O'Brien scored. "I did a personnel switch at half-time and put Kenny Lunt behind Chris Brunt and he eventually started running the show," a delighted Sturrock said.

Preston NE 1 QPR 1

A late header by Paul McKenna salvaged a point for Preston after a fighting performance by Rangers. The west London side went ahead in the fifth minute when influential midfielder and captain Gareth Ainsworth turned in the ball after Preston failed to clear Rangers' first corner. "I should be delighted coming up here and going back to London with one point," QPR manager Gary Waddock said, "but we should have had three. I am a bit disappointed."

Southend Utd 3 Sunderland 1

Sunderland spent most of last season at the bottom of the Premiership and a fourth consecutive Championship defeat has them propping up another table. Adam Barrett scored twice, and Lee Bradbury added the Shrimpers' third before Jon Stead pulled one back for the Wearsiders. It was very little consolation for manager Niall Quinn. "The losing mentality is rampant in this dressing room," he said. "It's affecting even the good players and that has to change."

West Bromwich 2 Colchester Utd 1

Too strong in the first half for newcomers Colchester, Albion had to work hard in the second period to hang on to their lead. After 11 minutes, John Hartson was felled by Wayne Brown and Nathan Ellington scored the penalty, the 100th goal of his career. Four minutes before half-time, Wallwork controlled Paul Robinson's pass before scoring. Colchester improved after the break and Jamie Guy pulled a goal back, but they are still seeking their first Championship point.