Championship round-up

Click to follow
The Independent Football

Coventry City 1 Burnley 0

The result was decided by a penalty just after the half-hour when Stern John's ball to Dele Adebola drew a foul from Burnley's John McGreal. Colin Cameron scored the penalty, but the Clarets boss, Steve Cotterill, was furious that his striker Gifton Noel-Williams was denied a spot-kick too. "They're match-deciding decisions and we were playing away from home, so we don't get them," he fumed. Referee chief Keith Hackett can expect a phone call tomorrow, he added.

Crystal Palace 1 Colchester Utd 3

Colchester won away from home for only the second time. They went ahead on 63 minutes when Karl Duguid fired in after Jamie Cureton's cross came back off the bar. Substitute Richard Garcia made it 2-0 seven minutes later with a snap-shot and although Clinton Morrison pulled a goal back for Palace, a foul on Garcia in injury time left Chris Iwelumo to score the penalty. "Our players are finding they've got a bit more time on the ball in this league," a delighted Us manager, Geraint Williams, said.

Norwich City 1 Sheffield Wed 2

Wednesday's third consecutive win under ambitious manager Brian Laws had a touch of fortune about the first goal when Madjid Bougherra's shot after 80 minutes hit the bar, then hit Norwich goalkeeper Lee Camp and flew into the Canaries' net. Three minutes later Deon Burton made it 2-0, before Dion Dublin pulled a goal back for the hosts. "We have to get into the position where we are a good Champion-ship side and move on from there," Laws said.

Plymouth 1 Hull City 0

"It was a horrible match, not pretty, but that was a special goal," Ian Holloway, the Argyle manager, said. The strike in question came 19 minutes from time from the former Manchester United striker Sylvan Ebanks-Blake. He had earlier been denied by Boaz Myhill's save, but gave the keeper no chance when Lilian Nalis crossed from the left and he fired in. One piece of bad news was a knee ligament injury to Paul Wotton. Hull, in their first match after Phil Parkinson's sacking, still struggled.

Stoke City 1 QPR 0

The Potters were in control from beginning to end against a side who never threatened. The winner came after 17 minutes; Mauro Milanese brought down Ricardo Fuller and Danny Higginbotham scored the penalty. Stoke haven't conceded a goal for 656 minutes and go fifth. "At times we were too comfortable," Stoke's manager Tony Pulis felt, "and at 1-0 that is a worry because something just might happen at the other end." Not against this Rangers side.

Sunderland 2 Luton Town 1

The Wearsiders' steady improvement under Roy Keane has seen them ease undemonstratively up the table and they are now within three points of the play-off places. "We are heading in the right direction but I think we will play catch-up until the end of the season," Keane said. Dean Morgan gave the Hatters an early lead, but Sunderland responded with goals by Darryl Murphy and, eight minutes into the second half, the winner from David Connolly.

Wolves 1 Leicester City 2

Elvis Hammond scored one goal and made the second as Leicester won away for only the second time this season. They led after 38 minutes when a long goal-kick from Paul Henderson found Hammond and the striker fired in from 12 yards. Lewis Cobern levelled for Wolves, but in injury time Hammond slid a pass to Levi Porter who finished coolly. "We always work hard," Rob Kelly, the Leicester manager, said, "but we've played much better football and lost."