Championship round-up

Click to follow
The Independent Football

Burnley 2 Hull City 0

Steve Cotterill's Clarets moved up to second after this latest win in their impressive start to the season when goals from Michael Duff, the Northern Ireland defender, and Gifton Noel-Williams in the first 13 minutes accounted for a Tigers side who now prop up the rest of the table. "It's not nice," the Hull manager, Phil Parkinson, said. "It's time to batten down the hatches, stick together, come out fighting." Cotterill said: "The first half was excellent. We were probably worth more than 2-0."

Leeds Utd 0 Stoke City 4

The Potters, previously without an away win this season, humbled Leeds, still under caretaker-manager John Carver, with goals by midfielder Lee Hendrie, in his second game on loan from Aston Villa, Andy Griffin, a Danny Higginbotham header from Hendrie's corner, and after Leeds' Robbie Blake saw his penalty saved, Ricardo Fuller. "I have to be quite honest and say possibly this ends my chance of getting the job," Carver said frankly. "It was a dreadful day." Tony Pulis, the Stoke manager, disagreed. "It was a smashing result!" he said.

Leicester City 3 Southampton 2

Substitute Richard Stearman hit a brave winner and Iain Hume netted twice as Leicester won a thriller at the Walkers Stadium. John Viafara and Inigo Idiakez both equalised Hume's fine strikes, scored with his right and left foot, but when Nils-Eric Johansson's shot struck the bar Stearman was first to the rebound. "Hume works very hard on the training ground and today he got his reward," Rob Kelly, the Leicester manager, said, "because it's the hardest thing in football to score goals." Not yesterday, apparently.

Preston North End 4 Sunderland 1

After 42 matches striker Danny Dichio broke his duck for Preston yesterday, setting up this big win 18 minutes into the game before Preston, unbeaten at home, added goals through a Graham Alexander penalty and Dean Whitehead's own goal in a 17-minute period. "They were poor goals to give away and it was a bad day," Roy Keane, the Wearsiders' manager, said. "The second goal was vital and it was a crazy spell from our point of view." Simon Whaley's second-half strike made it 4-0; Stanislav Varga's goal was Sunderland's only consolation.

Sheffield Wed 2 Barnsley 1

Deep into stoppage time, the Owls' Chris Brunt scored from 25 yards to win this South Yorkshire derby and lift Wednesday out of the relegation places. Glenn Whelan's fourth-minute goal gave the hosts the lead, and 20 minutes later the Tykes full-back Paul Heckingbottom was sent off for a second yellow card. But Brian Howard's goal gave Barnsley hope of a point, until Brunt had the last word. "We decided on attack, attack, attack," Paul Sturrock, the relieved Wednesday manager, said, "but didn't expect them to do the same."

Wolves 1 Colchester Utd 0

Jay Bothroyd's fourth goal in six starts for Wolves earned the three points to lift Mick McCarthy's side up to fifth. The former Coventry City striker netted shortly after half-time having been unlucky in the first period, when his right-foot shot hit a post. But after 51 minutes Rohan Ricketts was fouled, sent a low free-kick into the six-yard box and Bothroyd slid in late to score. "I chew his ear from time to time about his work-rate," McCarthy said, "because football is not always about craft, sometimes it is about graft. But Jay is certainly a talent."