Championship round-up: Connor Wickham pegs back Leicester while Harry Redknapp enjoys reunion with Bournemouth


Click to follow
The Independent Football

Leicester City saw their three-point lead in the Championship evaporate as they were beaten by managerless Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough while Queen's Park Rangers won 3-0 over Bournemouth. On a dramatic evening the bottom three clubs – Wednesday, Barnsley and Yeovil – all won, two of them having sacked their managers at the weekend.

Stuart Gray took over as caretaker manager when Wednesday dismissed Dave Jones on Sunday and masterminded a shock 2-1 win over high-flying Leicester. Anthony Knockaert had given the visitors the lead in the third minute, shredding the right of the Wednesday defence before scoring with a rising drive into the roof of the net.

However, Connor Wickham showed the ability that once convinced Sunderland to pay £8m for him, equalising six minutes later with a powerful angled drive from the left of the penalty area.

Wickham put the Owls ahead in the 25th minute when what looked like a cross from the left eluded Leicester keeper Kasper Schmeichel and crept in at the back post.

Jamie Vardy and David Nugent missed good chances for Leicester after the break with the Wednesday keeper Damian Martinez, on loan from Arsenal, making several excellent saves as the home side hung on.

Harry Redknapp enjoyed his reunion with Bournemouth, where he held his first managerial job, as QPR bounced back from defeat to Doncaster at the weekend by easing to a 3-0 win at Loftus Road.

Charlie Austin's 10th goal of the season set Rangers on their way after he was set up by Andy Johnson's run and cross in the 27th minute. Junior Hoilett made the game safe nine minutes into the second half and Matt Phillips wrapped things up with a fine individual goal with 13 minutes to go.

Burnley in third place are now winless in five games as the former leaders were held 0-0 at home by Watford. Blackpool started the night in fourth but ended up with eight men as they lost 1-0 at struggling Yeovil. They fell behind in the first half, young midfielder John Lundstram, on loan from Everton, firing home when a free-kick was not cleared.

Paul Ince's side pushed for an equaliser but fell apart in an extraordinary six minutes at the end, Kirk Broadfoot, Ricardo Fuller and Gary MacKenzie all getting sent off as Blackpool, not for the first time this season, lost their discipline.

It is now just one win in seven games for Nottingham Forest as they drew 2-2 at Millwall. Steve Morison put the Lions ahead with a crashing 20-yard shot in the eighth minute. However, Andy Reid fooled David Forde to equalise with a 20-yard left-foot shot that the Millwall keeper should really have saved.

Martyn Woolford turned Eric Lichaj inside the penalty area to find the space to score in the 56th minute. Forest hit back with Nathaniel Chalobah's thumping header from a Reid corner 10 minutes later.

Micky Mellon did his chances of taking over at Barnsley no harm as the visitors, who sacked David Flitcroft on Saturday, won 2-1 at Brighton thanks to goals from Paddy McCourt and Jacob Mellis.