Championship round-up: Scunthorpe revenge for Warnock

Click to follow
The Independent Football

Neil Warnock's Queen's Park Rangers kept up their perfect start to the Championship season with a 2-0 win over Scunthorpe at home on Saturday. First-half goals from Bradley Orr and Heidar Helguson maintained their place at the summit of the table. Despite not getting on the scoresheet, summer signing Adel Taarabt was the star of the show, causing no end of problems for the Iron defence and setting up both goals.

"It was a difficult game because everybody expects you to beat Scunthorpe, and that's no disrespect to them," Warnock said. "When I was at Crystal Palace last season, they beat us 4-0 – I nearly packed it in that night – and they beat QPR too. So I'm pleased to have got this win."

Burnley are in hot pursuit after a 3-0 home victory over Leicester, courtesy of strikes from Ross Wallace before the break and Chris Iwelumo and Graham Alexander – from the spot – after it.

Coventry too extended their unbeaten start to the season with a 2-1 win over Derby, although they had to wait until the final 10 minutes to claim all three points. Lukas Jutkiewicz had fired the home side ahead from the penalty spot 12 minutes before the break, but Dean Moxey levelled seven minutes after the restart only for Ben Turner to win it when he headed in Lee Carsley's cross.

Leeds came out on top in the battle of the promoted sides as they came from behind to beat Millwall 3-1. Richard Naylor's 15th-minute own goal gave the visitors the perfect start but Lloyd Sam levelled after 32 minutes and substitute Davide Somma's fired in a late double.

Fellow newcomers Norwich left it late to secure victory over Swansea as Ashley Williams's 87th-minute own goal and Simeon Jackson's stoppage-time effort clinched all three points after David Cotterill had seen his penalty saved by Canaries keeper John Ruddy.

Roy Keane's Ipswich had former Sunderland duo Grant Leadbitter and Carlos Edwards to thank for their 2-1 win at Crystal Palace, the former scoring from the spot six minutes after the break and the latter adding a second within five minutes.

Bristol City and Barnsley shared six goals at Ashton Gate with Andy Gray's double for the Yorkshiremen only good enough to claim a point, while Rob Earnshaw's equaliser ensured Nottingham Forest left Reading with similar reward.

Portsmouth's miserable start to life in the second tier continued with a 1-0 defeat at Preston with Paul Hayes's 18th-minute effort doing the damage and Hull were held to a 0-0 draw by Watford at the KC Stadium.