Championship Round-up: Worthington determined to fight on

Click to follow
The Independent Football

Worthington was abused by the Carrow Road crowd as last season's Premiership club continued to suffer. Worthington said: "I'll be strong. The important thing from my point of view is that my job is on the line here and I will be working damn hard to make sure I retain my position. The pressure will be no problem. I've been in football a long time now and I can deal with that."

There was more woe for the Wolves manager, Glenn Hoddle, too, as his side could lose striker Kenny Miller for six weeks after he tore his hamstring in a 3-1 defeat at Watford. Hoddle said: "Carl Cort and George Ndah are injured as well as Kenny, so we have only two fit strikers at the club. We desperately need to get people in."

Preston, at home to Leicester, drew for the fifth time time in a row and their manager, Billy Davies, admitted that he desperately wants his young striker Dave Nugent back in action.

"He has a viral infection, but my message to him is 'we need you, come back as quickly as you can'," said Davies.

Struggling Coventry beat promotion-chasing Luton 1-0, while Queen's Park Rangers stayed in the play-off hunt with a 2-1 win at Derby, despite having Paul Furlong sent off.

Brighton celebrated Government approval for their new ground with a home draw with Ipswich, their ninth in 16 games. Their manager, Mark McGee, said: "There is light at the end of the tunnel."

In League One, Freddy Eastwood scored a hat-trick for the leaders, Southend United, in their 3-0 win at Bristol City, opening up a two-point lead over Huddersfield and Swansea.

The Yorkshire side drew 1-1 at bottom-of-the-table Swindon. Chris Brandon equalised after Andy Gurney had converted a penalty for Swindon.

Swansea moved level on points with Huddersfield with a 5-1 demolition of Chesterfield, thanks in large part to a hat-trick from Lee Trundle. At the other end of the table Gillingham defeated Blackpool 2-1 to move out of the bottom four.

Leyton Orient moved to the top of League Two with a 1-0 win over Oxford. The previous leaders, Wycombe, could only draw 2-2 at home to Peterborough.