City land bargain signing in Mettomo

Click to follow

Lucien Mettomo will join Kevin Keegan's Manchester City after a £2.5m deal was agreed with the French side St-Etienne last night.

The Cameroon international centre-half was having pay-off talks with his current club yesterday but is due to fly in to have a medical today. Mettomo is willing to give up some severance money and is also confident that there will be no problems over an old knee injury that scuppered a move to Blackburn a year ago.

City have agreed a £1.5m down-payment and the rest of the money based on appearances and promotion, making Mettomo a likely bargain.

Ali Benarbia, the new hero of Maine Road, put City on the way to a 3-0 win over Walsall on Tuesday night. His goal followed Paulo Wanchope hitting the post to set up Shaun Goater for his 12th of the season. Wanchope added the third from the penalty spot.

"It was a really good team display with all my players contributing," Keegan said. "There were some outstanding performances and no weak links, and if we play like that every week we will get out of this division."

Stockport County – without a win all season – produced the shock of the night by beating Bradford City 4-2 at Valley Parade. Glynn Hurst and Scott Taylor scored two each with Benito Carbone and Andy Myers replying.

"When you look at the size of the clubs, it's an unbelievable result," the County manager, Andy Kilner, said. "We can come here and win the game with five free transfers in my side against Bradford who have got Premier League quality players in theirs. It just goes to show if you work hard enough and play in the manner we did you can win these games."

Crewe Alexandra gave the leaders Burnley a surprise with a 3-3 draw at Turf Moor. Kenny Lunt gave the Railwaymen the lead after 17 minutes and Steven Foster managed to force the ball over after a Rob Hulse effort.

Burnley's Paul Cook missed a penalty after Ian Moore was pulled down but Gareth Taylor headed in Andy Payton's cross and the former Hull striker scored from the spot to level things. The match was into injury time when Hulse headed Crewe in front but there was still time for Payton to volley the equaliser with just seconds left.

"We are conceding some poor goals, not least the third one that Crewe scored, and in the first half we were as bad as we've been for a while," the Clarets' manager, Stan Ternent, said. "Having said that our second-half performance was first-class."

Wolves left it late but Shaun Newton scored in the final minute to earn a 1-0 win over Nottingham Forest to move into second place. "The season is exceeding our expectations so far, but credit to the boys because they were still bright at the end," the Molineux manager, Dave Jones, said.

Grimsby Town are without a win in four games after Gillingham won away from home for the first time, coming out 2-1 winners at Blundell Park. Chris Hope put the Gills in front and Marlon King cracked his eighth of the season before Bradley Allen pulled one back.

Newly-promoted Rotherham United are still looking for their first victory of the season after a 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday, who are now without a win in seven outings. Martin McIntosh put the Millers in front after 58 minutes, poking the ball home from six yards, but Ashley Westwood levelled 10 minutes from time.

The London derby between Wimbledon and Millwall ended 2-2, David Connolly and Patrick Agyemang netted for the Dons; Steven Reid and Tim Cahill, with a header, for the Lions.