Colchester United 1 Ipswich Town 0: Duguid gives derby spoils to Colchester

Click to follow

Karl Duguid's first league goal in over three years was enough to extend Colchester United's unbeaten run to six games, but Ipswich Town will feel aggrieved not to have taken a point last night at Layer Road.

Duguid's ninth-minute strike secured victory, but controversy reigned when Jon Macken's early second-half strike was ruled out by the referee Lee Probert for a foul on the Colchester goalkeeper Aidan Davison.

The home side started brightly, but it was Ipswich who had the first chance, Jon Macken bursting forward and playing in Sylvain Legwinski but the Frenchman drilled wide. Colchester made them pay from their next attack, with Jamie Cureton firing in a drive which was only parried by Lewis Price, and Duguid, under pressure, side-footed the loose ball home.

The Ipswich striker Alan Lee came close to levelling matters as half-time approached. The Republic of Ireland international met a headed-on Currie cross at the far post but could only send the ball across the goal.

There was controversy at the start of the second half when Macken thought he had equalised. Lee fired in a shot which was saved by Davison. Macken then went for the loose ball with the goalkeeper only for Probert to disallow the goal for a foul by the striker.

Colchester almost compounded Town's misery seconds later as they broke away and Chris Iwelumo was presented with a golden chance, but Price made a superb save.

The Ipswich manager Jim Magilton did not mince his words. "We lost the game in the first 20 minutes," he said.

"We simply did not turn up and we could not win the ball. There was no chance for us to play our game and a few harsh words were spoken in the dressing-room at half-time. I will not tolerate a repeat performance."

Colchester United: Davison; Halford, Baldwin, Brown, Barker, Garcia, Watson, Izzet, Duguid, Iwelumo, Cureton. Substitutes not used: White, Jackson, Guy, Gerken (gk), McLeod.

Ipswich Town: Price; Sito, Naylor, De Vos, Harding, Noble, Walton (Bowditch, 86), Legwinski, Currie, Macken (Clarke, 64), Lee. Substitutes not used: Supple (gk), Bruce, Richards.

Referee: L Probert (Gloucestershire).

* Dean Wilkins has been appointed Brighton manager on a permanent basis, agreeing a contract until the end of the season.