FA Cup Review: Jevons preserves Yeovil tradition as Scully jolts Middlesbrough

Click to follow

A timely reminder to Premiership clubs about the necessity of taking the FA Cup seriously if progress was to be assured, and a handful of lucrative replays for financially hard-pressed lower division clubs, was the modest harvest of shocks in the rest of the Third Round yesterday, with League Two leaders Yeovil Town as prominent as usual alongside Blackpool and Swansea City with Boston United close behind.

Yeovil went to Millmoor and the former non-league giantkillers soon showed league membership has not blunted their appetite for a Cup upset when they beat Rotherham United, bottom of the Coca-Cola Championship, 3-0, the first, a Phil Jevons penalty, was his 19th goal of the season.

"You do not demoralise a team in 90 minutes unless your work rate is high," Gary Johnson, the Glovers' manager, said. "The first goal was a real boost, the other two goals were down to sheer pace." The sides will probably meet in League One next season.

The Premiership club given the sternest reminder of the competition's appeal to the lower divisions was Middlesbrough at League Two strugglers Notts County. In a repeat of last season's Third Round draw Boro had an early setback when, after 77 seconds, a Tony Scully cross shot took a deflection off Ugo Ehiogu to put County ahead.

"At half-time I told the players to show patience because we had had enough chances," Boro manager, Steve McLaren, said. "We put an extra attacker on and the game opened up." Goals by Guidoni Junior Doriva and Joseph-Desiré Job duly gave Boro safe passage.

Ten steps on the league ladder separated Bolton Wanderers from Championship leaders Ipswich Town, but the top tier's precise finishing was evident in Suffolk as Henrik Pedersen scored twice in four second-half minutes. Bolton won 3-1. In two other Premiership-Championship ties, Robert Earnshaw scored both goals as West Bromwich Albion won 2-0 at Preston North End, their first win under Bryan Robson. "It'll be nicer to get the first win in the Premiership," he said soberly.

And the Portsmouth manager, Velimir Zajec, enjoyed his first taste of FA Cup passion as Yakubu Ategbini's goal was enough to beat Championship Gillingham, while Charlton Athletic made short work of a Rochdale side half way up League Two, winning 4-1.

Reading needed an Ivar Ingimarsson goal two minutes from the end of their tie against League Two's Swansea City to force a replay from a 1-1 draw, and goals by Peter Clarke and Keith Southern earned League One relegation strugglers Blackpool a 2-2 draw at Leicester City. Boston United, in the lower half of League Two, held Hartlepool United, play-off contenders in League One, to a goalless draw for a deserved replay.

League One form was turned on its head twice as leaders Hull City lost 2-0 at home to Colchester United, and second-placed Luton Town lost by the same score, also at home, to Brentford.

In four ties between Championship sides, last season's losing finalists, Millwall, blamed that cup run for undermining their play-off push but there is no excuse this year after they went down 2-0 at Wolves, their first win under Glenn Hoddle. "I'm delighted," he said. "We hope this will kick-start us in the league."

Defeat at Nottingham Forest a few weeks ago precipitated the collapse in Queen's Park Rangers' Championship form and it got no better in the Cup tie at Loftus Road. Forest won 3-0.

Derby County clearly have the measure of Wigan Athletic with a previous league win and draw this season. The Latics led, but Iñigo Idiakez and Junior scored as County won 2-1. Coventry City parted company with manager Peter Reid in the week, and Crewe accepted a bid for leading scorer Dean Ashton. The Sky Blues made the lightest of the losses when Gary McSheffrey scored twice in their 3-0 win.

Lastly, Bournemouth beat Chester City 2-1 and in what on another weekend would be a League One relegation battle, Peterborough United won 2-0 at Milton Keynes Dons.