Hughton tries to salvage pride from Derby defeat while Saints march on

Championship round-up
Click to follow
The Independent Football

Chris Hughton suggested Birmingham deserved more from their game at Derby after being defeated 2-1 in his first match in charge on Saturday.

Click HERE to view the Championship Table and Results (142.52kB)

"Over the course of the 90 minutes we showed enough quality, particularly in the first half," said Hughton, whose side started well when Curtis Davies headed home after 19 minutes. However, Jason Shackell headed in from a set piece to level the scores before a strong shot from team-mate Steven Davies gave Derby the win at Pride Park. "We had enough control that I thought would see us get more out of the game," Hughton added.

Nigel Adkins said his Southampton side need to improve, even after they comprehensively beat Leeds United 3-1 at St Mary's Stadium. "It was a long way from the perfect performance," Adkins said of his side, who were making their return to the Championship. "We have to be competitive."

Dean Hammond fired home inside 10 minutes for Southampton before Adam Lallana's curled finished made it two, David Connolly added a third and Max Gradel's stoppage-time penalty brought consolation for Leeds.

Paul Jewell warned Ipswich against complacency despite his team recording a 3-0 victory at Bristol City, debutant Michael Chopra scoring two goals. The 27-year-old, who joined from Cardiff in the summer, opened his account after 13 minutes, galloping on to a ball over the top from Mark Kennedy and chipping his effort over goalkeeper David James. And, after team-mate Lee Martin fired in a 20-yard effort, Chopra completed the scoring on the hour-mark. James attempted to dink the ball over Chopra but was caught out when the forward bundled home into an empty net.

"We don't want to get carried away," Jewell insisted. "We were on top for the first 20 minutes, then we scored the goal. It has been a trait of ours that we've gone on the back foot after scoring and they came back into the game. But once we got the second and third goals, the game was over. But we know we've got a long way to go yet."

Reading's manager, Brian McDermott, expressed his delight at his side's determination after they recovered from a two-goal deficit to claim a dramatic 2-2 draw with Millwall.

"Another team would have thought that was it [when 2-0 down], but give credit to the players. They kept going and showed fantastic resilience," said McDermott, whose team conceded first-half efforts from Darius Henderson and John Marquis before substitute Mathieu Manset fired home for Reading with three minutes left. The 22-year-old forward struck again, heading in Jimmy Kebe's cross in the 89th minute to secure a crucial point.