Impressive Wolves climb to second

Walsall 0 Wolves 3
Click to follow
The Independent Football

Three goals in six minutes gave Wolves a comfortable win over their neighbours Walsall in this Black Country derby at Bescot Stadium tonight.

The victory lifted Dave Jones' side up to second place in the First Division table, and on this form they look a good bet to reach the Premiership.

Walsall started brightly, and their Brazilian midfielder Herivelto was a real thorn in the side of this richly assembled Wolves outfit.

In the 13th minute a free-kick taken by Fitzroy Simpson was headed back across the box by Tony Barras for Herivelto to connect with a volley, but Michael Oakes in the Wolves' goal made a fine save.

Three minutes later Herivelto was in again with a cross-shot which Oakes had to beat out, but then Wolves began to take control.

It was only a matter of time before they made their quality count, and in the 20th minute Mark Kennedy cut inside and unleashed a glorious right-foot shot in off the bar from 25 yards – his first goal since joining them from Manchester City.

Two minutes later Walsall's defence were left stranded after more good work by Kennedy and Kenny Miller, on loan from Rangers, tapped home the second.

It looked like being a cricket score when, in the 26th minute, another Kennedy cross into the goalmouth was knocked down by Nathan Blake for Shaun Newton to whip the ball into the back of the net.

To their credit Walsall held firm from then on and Oakes had to turn a header from Darren Wrack round a post from a Pedro Matias cross in the 31st minute.

In the second half Wolves were content to sit back, their night's work having already been done.

Walsall: Harper, Brightwell, Tillson, Barras, Aranalde, Curtis (Bennett 72), Simpson, Matias (Leitao 70), Erivelto, Wrack, Goodman (Byfield 13). Substitutes not used: Walker, Gadsby.

Wolverhampton: Oakes, Muscat, Naylor, Lescott, Butler, Robinson, Newton, Cameron, Kennedy (Rae 88), Miller (Proudlock 80), Blake (Roussel 71). Substitutes not used: Pollet (gk), Murray.

Referee: G Poll (Tring).