League round-up: Barmby's late strike gives Tigers teeth

Click to follow
The Independent Football

Substitute Nick Barmby came off the bench to grab the winner with his first goal of the season as Hull City replaced Cardiff City in the top six after beating the Welsh side 2-1 at the KC Stadium. Matt Fryatt had given the Tigers a half-time lead, but Joe Ralls equalised for Cardiff just after the hour. Then came Barmby's moment, firing in from Robbie Brady's 71st-minute cross.

"Nick has always had a very positive impact for us," Tigers manager Nigel Pearson said of player-coach Barmby. "He brings quality to the team." He certainly did yesterday.

Middlesbrough lost their 100 per cent away record in the Champion-ship but stayed unbeaten after a third 0-0 draw in a row, at Reading.

First-half goals by David Nugent and Darius Vassell set Leicester City on their way to a 4-0 win over visitors Derby County in the Midlands clash, but Brighton's wobble continued, Michael Chopra scoring twice as Ipswich Town beat the Sea-gulls 3-1 at Portman Road.

Doncaster Rovers came from behind to win 2-1 at Peterborough United, Brian Stock and Kyle Bennett scoring. Seven points from three games in eight days under new manager Dean Saunders has lifted Rovers off the bottom and out of the relegation places. That left Bristol City propping up the division after a 5-0 hammering at Blackpool. Jonjo Shelvey, on loan from Liverpool, created Pool's first for Gary Taylor-Fletcher and scored the second from a 35-yard free-kick. Substitutes Daniel Bogdanovic (two) and Brett Ormerod added late goals.

Millwall stay in the bottom three after a Joey Rodriguez goal eased Burnley to a 1-0 win at the New Den. Coventry dropped into the danger zone , Andy Gray scoring both goals in Barnsley's 2-0 win at Oakwell for the Tykes' first home victory this season. And Leeds United beat Portsmouth 1-0, Danny Pugh, back at Elland Road on loan from Stoke City, heading home. It was Leeds' first clean sheet of the season.

League One

Second-half goals by Yann Kermorgant and Bradley Wright-Phillips saw leaders Charlton Athletic open up a five-point gap at the top after a 2-0 win at Sheffield United. Dean Cox scored twice as Leyton Orient won for the first time this season coming from behind to beat visitors Preston North End 2-1.

League Two

Michael Tubbs scored twice to lift Crawley Town to second after a 2-0 win over bottom side Plymouth Argyle. Morecambe, held 1-1 at Torquay United, slipped to third.


Claudio Ranieri suffered his first defeat in charge of Internazionale and was sent off at half-time as Napoli went top of Serie A with a 3-0 win over 10-man Inter at San Siro. Shortly before the interval Joel Obi was sent off for bundling over Christian Maggio. Julio Cesar saved Marek Hamsik's resulting penalty but Hugo Campagnaro followed up to give Napoli the lead. Ranieri was banished for arguing with the referee after the half-time whistle. Maggio and Hamsik scored in the second half.