League round-up: Charlie Austin finds top gear for QPR's miserly maestros


Click to follow
The Independent Football

Charlie Austin scored twice as Queens Park Rangers set a new club record with an eighth straight clean sheet in their 2-0 home victory against Barnsley yesterday. The visitors, who remain bottom of the Championship table, defended strongly for 66 minutes until Austin broke the deadlock from close range after being set up by Junior Hoilett.

The former Burnley striker sealed all three points for Harry Redknapp's second-placed team five minutes from time, converting from the penalty spot after he had been tripped by Martin Cranie

Kevin Bond, QPR's assistant manager, said: "It was important to us to keep the run going. We didn't want to give a goal away. It's fantastic and it's not just down to the obvious players like the defence and the goalkeeper. It's testament to everyone really."

Pudil makes a splash

Daniel Pudil struck the winner as Watford came from behind to secure a fourth win in five games.

The Czech international was first to react when Huddersfield's goalkeeper, Alex Smithies, spilled Lewis McGugan's free-kick on 44 minutes to clinch a 2-1 away success. Fernando Forestieri had earlier cancelled out Danny Ward's header.

"Forestieri was the best player on the pitch," said Gianfranco Zola, Watford's manager. "He was a real handful for them, holding up the ball and creating space."

Ings getting even better

Burnley retained their place at the top of the Championship with a 2-1 win against Reading at Turf Moor.

Danny Ings scored his 11th goal of the season in the 21st minute, firing in from Kieran Trippier's pass. Sean Dyche's side extended their advantage through Sam Vokes in the 80th minute and, while Jason Shackell's own goal two minutes later made for a nervy finale, Burnley's defence held firm.

Too many thugs spoil the day for Cook

Bournemouth's defender Steve Cook needed treatment when he was struck by a missile thrown by Millwall fans during his side's 5-2 victory.

The object was handed to the referee, Lee Collins, before play resumed and police officers moved into the Millwall section of the Goldsands Stadium. It was a bleak day for Steve Lomas's side who let slip a two-goal lead and also had Alan Dunne sent off for a second booking. "There is no way the players deserve to have things thrown at them," said Eddie Howe, Bournemouth's manager. "This is a family club, it should not have happened." Martyn Waghorn put Millwall ahead and set up Liam Trotter to make it 2-0. But Bournemouth hit back through Ryan Fraser and Cook before Harry Arter put them in front. Lewis Grabban and Brett Pitman added penalties.

Schmeichel left red-faced

A bizarre own-goal from Kasper Schmeichel ensured third-placed Leicester City lost ground on the top two with a 1-0 defeat at Doncaster Rovers. The Dane punched a corner into his net in the 17th minute and Nigel Pearson's side failed to recover. "In a nutshell, the game was settled by one incident," said Pearson.

Beckford ends barren spell

Bolton celebrated their first win of the season at the 11th attempt, thanks to two defensive errors from Birmingham City. Dougie Freedman's side were enduring their worst start in 111 years, but that changed with a narrow 2-1 victory at St Andrew's.

Dan Burn's blunder, when he misjudged Medo's hopeful clearance after just 12 minutes, allowed Jermaine Beckford to open the scoring. Neil Danns then capitalised on a mistake by the home goalkeeper, Darren Randolph, who flapped at Liam Feeney's cross.

Nikola Zigic headed his first goal of the season but the hosts failed to produce an equaliser. "I had belief that we'd turn it around if we just kept working hard," said Freedman.

Griffiths' double delight

Leigh Griffiths scored twice to help Wolverhampton Wanderers gain ground on Leyton Orient at the top of League One after a 3-0 victory at Colchester United. Kevin Doyle was also on target for the visitors, while Orient were held to a 1-1 draw at Oldham Athletic.

Matthews fear

Neil Lennon fears Adam Matthews could be out for three months after the defender injured his collarbone in Celtic's 2-0 win over Motherwell at Parkhead. Goals from Anthony Stokes and Kris Commons sent Lennon's side to the top of the Scottish Premiership table. Inverness Caledonian Thistle, leaders at the start of the day, were thrashed 4-0 at St Johnstone.