League round-up: Charlton recover to flow past Dons

Click to follow

Charlton Athletic emphatically recovered from the shock of their FA Cup defeat by Northwich Victoria by thrashing Milton Keynes Dons 5-1 at The Valley and moving to within four points of the League One leaders, Leeds United.

Aaron Wilbraham gave the Dons an early lead but David Mooney and a Nick Bailey header saw the Latics go in front after 21 minutes. Lloyd Sam made it 3-1 after the hour and late goals by Sam Sodje and Deon Burton wrapped it up as Phil Parkinson's side bounced back.

Colchester United needed two equalisers from Clive Platt to squeeze out a 2-2 draw at home to Exeter City. Stuart Fleetwood gave the visitors an unexpected early lead, and Ryan Harley's free-kick made it 2-1 after Platt's first. After his second, Colchester's Medy Elito was sent off and it stayed 2-2.

Peter Clarke scored twice as Huddersfield Town made it 20 goals at the Galpharm Stadium in their last four League and Cup games, crushing inept bottom club Wycombe 6-0. Gary Roberts, Anthony Pilkington, a Michael Duberry own goal and, after missing a handful of good chances, Theo Robinson from the penalty spot completed the rout. The Terriers are sixth.

Brentford and Millwall shared the honours 2-2 in the London derby at Griffin Park but there was late joy for Bristol Rovers as they ended a run of six defeats when Chris Lines's goal in time added on saw them beat unlucky Carlisle United 3-2.

In League Two, leaders Bournemouth were in front at Bradford City thanks to Brett Pitman's eighth League goal, but Gareth Evans's strike meant they could only draw 1-1 and drop to second on goal difference. Mark Arber's 39th-minute effort was enough for Dagenham & Redbridge to beat Accrington Stanley 1-0. The Daggers are now top.

Notts County drew 3-3 at Bury, while Rotherham United won 1-0 at Port Vale. Shrewsbury Town, humiliated in the FA Cup by Staines, drew 1-1 with struggling Torquay United.

Peterborough have confirmed Kettering's Mark Cooper as their new manager on a three-and-a-half-year contract. The 40-year-old succeeds Darren Ferguson, who left the club by mutual consent on Tuesday.

Spurs goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini will be on crutches for 12 weeks after having surgery on injuries sustained in a motorcycle crash in London on Thursday, when the Italian broke both wrists and damaged his pelvis.