League round-up: Dickov's late cameo can't topple Owls

Click to follow

That 2010-11 is likely to be one of the more closely contested League One seasons became clear as Peterborough United, Carlisle and Oldham Athletic all spurned the chance to go top above Sheffield Wednesday.

At Boundary Park, Will Hoskins lobbed Bristol Rovers ahead against the Latics after eight minutes, but Chris Taylor levelled in first-half injury time. Rovers' Danny Coles was sent off, Latics' player-manager Paul Dickov sent himself on, as a late substitute, but it stayed 1-1.

Posh, who started in second place, must have felt confident of taking at least a point off Tranmere Rovers at Prenton Park, but Arnaud Mendy, on loan from Derby County, scored the game's only goal as Rovers registered their first League win of the season.

At the Galpharm Stadium, visitors Bournemouth had the better of the first half, led through Josh McQuoid, but Tony Kay equalised on half-time for Huddersfield Town. The Terriers led early in the second half through Gary Roberts, but Marc Pugh's header saw the Cherries' take a deserved point from a 2-2 draw.

Notts County's start had been slow before Yeovil's visit to Meadow Lane, but two goals from Ben Davies between Craig Westcarr's 24th minute lob and Lee Hughes' 73rd minute strike saw Craig Short's side win 4-0.

Late in their match against Charlton Athletic, Exeter City's Jamie Cureton was fouled and Ryan Harley fired in the penalty to grab a 1-0 win, another first of the season, while Andy Bond's 83rd minute strike proved to be the late winner for fifth-placed Colchester United at Walsall.

After a goalless first-half, the 72nd-minute substitute Lewis Guy struck five minutes later from to give MK Dons a 1-0 win over Hartlepool, despite Dean Lewington's late sending off. Two Romain Vincelot headers sent the first-ever League East London derby between Dagenham & Redbridge and visitors Leyton Orient in the Daggers' direction, 2-0.

League Two

Going in to first-half injury time at Gigg Lane, Bury were leading Gillingham 2-0. No surprise there, Gills had not scored for about eight hours. But then Ade Akinfenwa's header gave Gills hope and set up an extraordinary second-half. Andy Bishop's second of the game made it 3-1, but Akinfenwa's second header made it 3-2 before Danny Spiller levelled with 59 minutes gone. Three minutes later, Efe Sodje put the Shakers ahead yet again until Chris Palmer scored Gills' fourth goal in 20 minutes - 4-4. But Ryan Lowe, who'd scored Bury's second, added their fifth and in finished 5-4 leaving the Gills without an away win in 29 matches. But only just.

Elsewhere, Shrewsbury Town went top when Lionel Ainsworth turned in Craig Disley's cross to beat Rotherham United 1-0, Chesterfield beat Lincoln City 2-1 to go third, fourth-placed Port Vale won 2-0 at Bradford City and Burton Albion's 3-0 defeat of Hereford saw them go sixth.

The League newcomers Stevenage drew 1-1 with Crewe despite ending with 10 men, Stacy Long seeing red, and Oxford United, who came up with them, beat Morecambe 4-0, James Constable scoring a hat-trick. And George Donnelly and Mansour Assoumani scored as Stockport beat Macclesfield, their first win in 20 matches.