League round-up: McDonald has Dons on the rise

Click to follow
The Independent Football

Charlie McDonald's third goal in three games, a 45th-minute header from Darren Potter's centre, set Milton Keynes Dons on their way to a third consecutive away win as the League One leaders stretched their unbeaten start to the campaign to six matches with a 3-1 win at Carlisle United. Potter added the Dons' second, and after Lee Miller pulled a goal back, Dean Lewington's strike just after the hour wrapped up the points.

The day's fast risers were Brentford and unbeaten Hartlepool United. The Bees' Clayton Donaldson scored the only goal of the game at Walsall, Uwe Rosler's side's 1-0 victory lifting them to fourth. Pool shot up from 12th to sixth when goals by Gary Liddle, from Nolberto Solano's cross, and Nathan Luscombe saw Exeter beaten 2-0. Tranmere, fifth, were held 0-0 by Yeovil.

Chris Beardsley scored twice in the first half as Stevenage thumped Rochdale 4-2, and Lee Hughes was on target after just 50 seconds as Notts County overcame Bournemouth 3-1.

Shefki Kuqi opened his account for Oldham Athletic but they had Bradley Diallo sent off in the 1-1 home draw with Huddersfield Town, and it ended 1-1, too, between Scunthorpe United and Colchester United.

Leyton Orient earned their first point of the season from a goalless draw at Chesterfield, but the teams still occupy the bottom two berths.

League Two

Tyrone Barnett scored twice as Crawley Town reclaimed the summit thanks to a convincing 4-1 disposal of Bristol Rovers, Ben Smith and Matt Tubbs also on target.

Substitute Ross Hannah's 90th-minute equaliser earned Bradford City a point in Phil Parkinson's first match in charge of the Bantams as they drew 1-1 at third-placed Morecambe.

Torquay United moved into the top four with a comfortable 3-0 defeat of Macclesfield, while fifth-placed Shrewsbury Town, thanks to Nicky Wroe's last-gasp penalty, beat Gillingham 1-0, the Gills slipping to sixth.

Christian Jolley's 90th-minute strike earned AFC Wimbledon a 3-2 win over Port Vale, but despite Accrington Stanley having Charlie Barnett (43 minutes) and Kevin Long (90) sent off, Barnet couldn't find a way past them in the 0-0 draw at Underhill.

The Brewers could offer the Pilgrims no cheer as Plymouth's players, having been paid 40 per cent of their wages to avert a strike, lost 2-1 at Burton Albion.