League round-up: McGleish strikes to unseat Chairboys

Click to follow
The Independent Football

Wycombe Wanderers' struggle against relegation from League One after just one season came to a grinding halt at Brisbane Road when late goals by Ryan Jarvis and Scott McGleish sealed Leyton Orient's 2-0 win and the Chairboys' fate. A McGleish effort had earlier been cleared off the line before Jarvis put the O's ahead in the 78th minute. As Wycombe threw men forward, a break on Orient's left saw McGleish, who spent two years at Wycombe earlier in his career, settle it with a calm right-foot finish.

Who will drop with Wycombe will be decided next week. Exeter's 1-1 draw at Hartlepool leaves them in danger, just out of the bottom four on goal difference, with Gillingham only two points better off despite a 2-1 win over Southampton.

In the jostling for position in the play-offs, Billy Paynter scored twice as fourth-placed Swindon Town beat visitors Brentford 3-2, and Lee Novak's 90th-minute winner saw Huddersfield Town, sixth, beat Colchester United 2-1.

Champions Norwich City won 3-0 at Bristol Rovers to reach 95 points, a club record haul, while two sides already relegated met at Roots Hall where Alan Cormack's late goal earned Southend United a 2-1 win over Stockport County.

League Two

In a tense atmosphere at Blundell Park, second-half goals by Rob Atkinson and Mark Hudson saw Grimsby Town beat Barnet 2-0 to take the fight to avoid the drop into the Conference to the final weekend. The Bees, who sacked manager Ian Hendon in the week, are just a point above the Mariners. Cheltenham Town also slipped back into the equation after a 5-0 thrashing at champions Notts County left them two points above the bottom two.

With automatic promotion settled, the scrap for the play-offs intensified. Rotherham drew 0-0 with Crewe, while Marvin Morgan scored twice as Aldershot beat Lincoln 3-1 to seal their places. Centre-back David Artell's two goals helped Morecambe win 3-2 at Shrewsbury Town, who sacked manager Paul Simpson on Friday, and Dagenham & Redbridge, who started the day 11th, beat Hereford 2-1 to grab sixth and seventh places respectively, dislodging Bury, beaten 3-0 at home by Torquay, and Port Vale, who lost 4-0 at Bournemouth.