Leeds wait for verdict that may decide League One promotion
Saturday 19 April 2008
At this stage of the season the promotion and relegation issues are often complicated enough with fans taking calculators as well as radios to matches. In League One, however, the uncertainty principle applies to all computations as no one knows whether Leeds United's 15-point deduction is about to be confirmed, reduced or expunged.
Yesterday it was revealed the independent tribunal currently considering the penalty, imposed by the Football League for allegedly breaking competition rules on insolvency, will reveal its verdict before the season finishes on 1 May, two days before the last round of fixtures.
The hearing, which was expected to be concluded yesterday, will continue into Monday, a fourth day, such is the weight of evidence.
Some promotion rivals have already threatened legal action should Leeds, currently sixth, 12 points behind second-placed Carlisle, win their case.
According to the present League One table Swansea are already promoted and they can clinch the title today. Roberto Martinez, their manager, said: "It would be unfair from a football point of view if their position suddenly changed. If anything else happens, you won't have heard the last of it. It would be a massive war."
At the other end of the table, in a reminder of what a small world football can be, Gerald Krasner, the former Leeds chairman, is considering two bids for Bournemouth in his role as their administrator. This follows the collapse of the planned takeover by EU UK. Whoever succeeds is likely to be inheriting a League Two club as the Cherries, at Walsall today, will go down if they lose and Crewe take a point at home to Cheltenham.
The promotion picture in League Two may be much clearer by tonight as the top four play each other with full houses possible at Edgar Street, where Hereford play second-placed Peterborough, and Edgeley Park, where Stockport host the leaders MK Dons.
Football League ups and downs
* CHAMPIONSHIP Colchester and Scunthorpe are down.
* LEAGUE ONE Swansea, already up, are champions if they match or better Carlisle's result. Bournemouth join relegated Luton and Port Vale if they lose and Crewe gain a point.
* LEAGUE TWO MK Dons go up if they avoid defeat at Stockport, or if Hereford fail to win at Peterborough. Peterborough will be promoted if they win and Stockport do not. Wrexham go down if they fail to better the results of Dagenham & Redbridge and Chester. Mansfield go down if they lose and the Daggers, Notts County and Chester all win.
Latest in Sport
Frank Lampard was RIGHT not to celebrate Manchester City's equaliser against Chelsea
All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
Colombian women's cycling team kit that makes wearer appear naked is branded 'unacceptable' by UCI president
Five reasons why Louis van Gaal is a worse Manchester United manager than David Moyes
Comment: Louis Van Gaal struggled at start of Bayern reign, but Manchester United's problems run deeper and Premier League is less forgiving
- 1 Rihanna 'nude pictures' claims emerge on 4Chan as hacking scandal continues
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned PR disaster
- 5 Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God