Middlesbrough fend off Johnson offers
Middlesbrough boss Gordon Strachan expects winger Adam Johnson to see out his contract on Teesside with the club having rejected a series off offers.
Press Association Sport understands big-spending Manchester City have tabled a bid of around £5million for the 22-year-old midfielder and that other suitors have made their interest known.
However, Strachan said: "We have had verbal offers in the last week for Adam, but nothing has changed.
"Adam is still here and I would expect him still to be here for the last 19 games of the season."
Johnson's future has been a topic for debate for months with the England Under-21 international's contract at the Riverside Stadium due to expire at the end of the season.
Home-town club Sunderland are among his admirers, while Everton have also been linked with the player, who scored his 11th and 12th goals of the season in Tuesday night's 4-1 Coca-Cola Championship victory at Doncaster.
Strachan has insisted since he arrived at the club that he does not want Johnson to leave and Boro, who refused to sell England international Stewart Downing to Tottenham 12 months ago, remain determined to hold on to their prized asset.
Strachan said: "We have had verbal offers, we have had one official offer and I would imagine after looking at those that Adam will be here for the rest of the season, which we are quite delighted about because he is coming back into form.
"That's great for us because when he is on form, we are a better team, that's for sure.
"Adam is a terrific, terrific professional and a terrific young man. He is a credit to his mum and dad."
Meanwhile, Strachan confirmed that his interest in Celtic defender Stephen McManus is ongoing amid reports the move has broken down because the two clubs cannot agree a deal.
He said: "Stephen's name had been mentioned, that's for sure. I am a big fan of Stephen.
"Stephen doesn't seem to be getting a game at Celtic at the moment.
"It's been widely spoken about in the Scottish papers and people at Celtic as well, [manager] Tony [Mowbray] saying he can go, and if he can go, then we would love him here."
Latest in Sport
John Stones to Chelsea: Everton defender 'devastated' by transfer refusal
Joey Barton joins Burnley: Ex-QPR midfielder signs one-year deal, immediately regrets tweet criticising living the Lancashire town last year
Manchester United transfer news: United 'make £21.9m bid' for Lazio's Felipe Anderson
David De Gea to Real Madrid: £30m transfer to be finalised by Monday, Manchester United goalkeeper's representatives 'confident'
Paul Pogba to Chelsea: Transfer news live - John Stones latest, Gareth Bale and Neymar to Manchester United, Edinson Cavani to Arsenal
- 1 Game of Thrones season 6: Jon Snow theorists believe Ned Stark's son may have a twin sister
- 2 Artist takes LSD, draws herself over different stages of the 9-hour trip to show its effects
- 4 iPhone 6s camera: features to include 4K video camera and flash for selfies
- 5 A pint of water every day is the key to losing weight, scientists say
Dresden riots: Protesters in Germany attack refugee buses shouting 'foreigners out'
France train shooting: US soldiers speak of the moment they stopped gunman and 'beat him until he was unconscious'
Labour leadership: Jeremy Corbyn accused of 'deluding' young supporters with 'claptrap'
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn