Millwall deserved to lose, says McGhee

Click to follow
The Independent Football

Oxford United of the Third Division "thoroughly deserved" their shock victory over First Division Millwall in the League Cup on Tuesday night, according to the losing manager, Mark McGhee.

The Millwall manager put a brave face on defeat, saying: "We have put out our strongest available team but it has not been enough. I thought they thoroughly deserved their win."

Steve Basham scored the only goal after 59 minutes, and the Oxford manager, Ian Atkins, said: "We got a couple of Premiership scalps last season and it was nice to get a First Division one. I thought we deserved to win."

The Norwich manager, Nigel Worthington, was upset at missing out on "revenue and glory" after Josh Low's early goal saw Third Division Northampton beat a side tipped to lead the promotion challenge in the First Division.

"I am very disappointed to go out," Worthington said. "The price of missing chances is a high one and we have missed out on the possibility of revenue and glory in the next round." The Northampton manager, Martin Wilkinson, said: "It shows just how well we can play."

Huddersfield also upset the odds, coming from behind to beat Derby 2-1 at the McAlpine Stadium. Ian Taylor put Derby in front but Jonathan Stead equalised and John Thorrington put the Terriers through with a 70th-minute winner.

The Huddersfield manager, Peter Jackson, said: "Stead is one of the best strikers outside the Premiership and you saw that again."

The Derby manager, George Burley, said: "For us the league is the priority, so this defeat may turn out to be a blessing in disguise as we are trying to get a squad together to keep Derby in Division One."

Grimsby, cruising against Doncaster after goals by Stuart Campbell and Iain Anderson, had Des Hamilton and Marcel Cas sent off, and Doncaster earned victory through goals from Leo Fortune-West, Paul Barnes and Gregg Blundell.

Rovers' assistant manager, Mickey Walker, said: "Leaving aside all the controversial incidents, we deserved to win. We played some marvellous football and I don't think anyone will fancy coming to us if we are drawn at home."

Justin Walker put Cambridge ahead after 28 minutes against Gillingham but John Hills levelled for the First Division side midway through the second half, and Nayron Nosworthy hit the winner with four minutes to go as the Gills squeezed through 2-1 despite Tommy Johnson's red card.

Robert Earnshaw claimed a hat-trick and Andy Campbell added another as Cardiff ousted Leyton Orient 4-1. Jabo Ibehre netted Orient's goal.

Paul Merson's fine start to life as a Walsall player continued with the former England international equalising Craig Russell's opener for Carlisle at the Bescot Stadium. Jorge Leitao weighed in with a second for the hosts in a 2-1 win.

Dean Ashton and Steve Jones scored as Crewe beat Wrexham 2-0 at Gresty Road.

Sheffield United were made to work hard for their 2-1 win at Macclesfield. Jack Lester's opener was levelled by Macclesfield's Danny Whitaker, but Lester's second, a penalty, won the tie with three minutes left.

Chris Swailes opened the scoring for Rotherham against York but Dave Merris equalised later in the first half. Chris Sedgwick saw the hosts through 2-1 with a goal just before half-time.

Rob Hulse gave West Bromwich Albion the lead against Brentford at The Hawthorns, and Bernt Haas also netted for his new club after Jay Smith's dismissal for the visitors. Hulse netted another and Scott Dobie finished off a 4-0 rout.

Lee McCulloch and Jason Jarrett helped Wigan put Third Division Hull in their place.

Richard Harris scored both goals to give Wycombe an unexpected 2-0 success over Wimbledon.

Oldham had Darren Sheridan and Danny Boshell sent off at Scunthorpe, who had Matthew Sparrow dismissed in a 2-1 win thanks to Paul Hayes' brace. Mickael Antoine-Curier scored for Oldham.

Yeovil's first League Cup outing ended in misery as Luton breezed into round two with a 4-1 win thanks to goals from Kevin Foley, Tony Thorpe, Courtney Pitt and Steve Howard.

Emmerson Boyce briefly gave the League newcomers hope when he equalised with an own goal.

Cheltenham led QPR through a Grant McCann goal before Paul Furlong was sent off. Goals by Gareth Ainsworth and Richard Langley gave the Second Division side a 2-1 win.

Dougie Freedman scored for Crystal Palace, who needed penalties to beat Third Division Torquay, for whom David Graham levelled. Tony Popovic was sent off in the second half for violent conduct, and penalties went Palace's way 3-1.