Norwich vs Bolton match report: Cameron Jerome's goal brace fires Norwich up into third place

Norwich 2 Bolton 1

Click to follow
The Independent Football

Two goals from Cameron Jerome gave Norwich City their first home win in six attempts as they soared up to third place in the Championship table.

Yet Neil Adams’ men did not have it all their own way and endured a frantic final few minutes after Chung-Yong Lee pulled a late goal back for Bolton.

Norwich’s players were not afraid to have a go from distance early on, but Kyle Lafferty’s volley was a wild attempt and Alex Tettey’s effort was wayward.

The ease in which they were able to get those chances should have served as a warning to Bolton, but it was one which went unheeded as Jerome tucked away his seventh goal of the campaign on 12 minutes.

City’s striker headed a high ball from Martin Olsson down to Jonny Howson on the halfway line, then ran up the pitch to take a perfectly weighted pass in his stride and beat Bolton goalkeeper Andy Lonergan with a low shot.

Bolton’s aim coming into this match was to move out of the bottom three. Two wins from three games under new manager Neil Lennon meant they seemed to have turned a corner, and they started this match menacingly. Bolton winger Lee sent in a dangerous cross shortly after kick off, but City managed to clear  the danger.

Despite Lennon replacing his captain, Jay Spearing, with Liam Trotter at half-time, it was Norwich who were faster out of the blocks after the break. Jerome blazed a shot over the bar while team-mate Nathan Redmond forced Lonergan to tip an angled effort over the woodwork. Redmond also hit the base of a post.

Their attacking efforts were awarded once more when, in the 61st minute,  Jerome headed in from Gary O’Neil’s corner.

O’Neil was perhaps fortunate to still be on the pitch.  The midfielder had been cautioned for a first-half foul and when he caught Lee with a high foot he was lucky to escape a red card.

Lonergan pulled off great saves to deny Whittaker and Lewis Grabban as City went in search of a third goal.

Bolton’s Max Clayton squandered a chance to get one back after being set free by Mark Davies, but he shot wide. Lee went one better, sending a right-footed finish home, but it was not enough.