Owen to wear mask at Wembley
Monday 26 May 2008
Stockport County's captain, Gareth Owen, will wear a protective mask in today's League Two play-off final at Wembley. The defender broke his cheekbone in the semi-final victory over Wycombe Wanderers.
Owen is likely to be partnered in central defence today by Jim McNulty, a replacement for Michael Raynes, who injured his hamstring in the semi-final first leg at Adams Park.
Stockport, seeking to return to League One after a three-year absence, are making a fifth visit to the national stadium. Rochdale have never played at Wembley.
The Lancastrians will be without the midfielder David Perkins, who is suspended, and striker Lee Thorpe, who recently broke his arm. The midfielder Dominic Blizzard will be available after a calf injury.
Stockport finished just below the automatic promotion spots. The highest placed play-off team in League Two has won the final in 12 of the last 17 years.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
- 3 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 4 Mafia's wall of silence broken: Victim of Cosa Nostra's extortion rackets in its Corleone heartland co-operates with authorities for the first time ever
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure