Powell linked with Grimsby post
Wednesday 21 October 2009
England women's coach Hope Powell has sensationally been linked with the vacant managerial post at Grimsby Town.
The Mariners disposed of Mike Newell earlier this week and are currently on the search for a new manager, with Powell said to be in the running.
Should the 42-year-old, who led England's women to the European Championships final this summer, land the post, she would become the first-ever female manager of a football league club.
Speaking to Sky Sports News, League Managers' Association chief executive Richard Bevan said: "Why shouldn't she (make the step into the men's game)? Hope has done a fantastic job with England, but I'm not sure the FA would want to let her go."
The Football Association has denied any knowledge of the story.
Latest in Sport
Berbatov flees Bulgaria following kidnap threat
Phil Hughes injury: Cricket world reels as Australian opener 'fights for his life'
Arsenal vs Borussia Dortmund player ratings: Who was the star man at the Emirates? Alexis Sanchez? Santi Cazorla? Or Yaya Sanogo?
Phil Hughes: A swashbuckling, raw and talented batsman who had the world at his feet
Arsenal vs Borussia Dortmund report: Yaya Sanogo and Alexis Sanchez are on target as Gunners secure impressive victory
- 1 'Kidnapped boy may have been abused and murdered by VIP paedophile ring,' say police
- 2 Ridley Scott on Exodus, Gods and Kings casting: 'I'm not going to get it financed if my lead actor is Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such'
- 3 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
- 4 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 5 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict