Preston appoint former Leeds United manager Simon Grayson
Grayson succeeds Graham Westley in the Deepdale hotseat
Monday 18 February 2013
Preston have appointed former Huddersfield and Leeds boss Simon Grayson as their new manager.
Grayson succeeds Graham Westley in the Deepdale hotseat after the ex-Stevenage manager stepped down to end an unsuccessful 13 months at the helm last week, having won just once in npower League One since November.
North End bounced back to defeat leaders Bournemouth 2-0 at the weekend under the guidance of caretaker John Dreyer, but lie 17th in the table, eight points above fourth-bottom Oldham, who have a game in hand.
Grayson was dismissed from his post at Huddersfield in last month, despite securing promotion to the Championship last season via the play-offs.
He also lifted Leeds out of the third tier during his time at Elland Road, having accomplished the same feat during his first managerial assignment at Blackpool.
Grayson will be assisted by Glynn Snodin, who was his right-hand man at both Leeds and Huddersfield.
Dreyer, who arrived in Lancashire as Westley's assistant in January last year, has been retained as part of the backroom staff.
Latest in Sport
Manchester United 0 Liverpool 3: 'We're upset we didn't score more goals,' admits Steven Gerrard
France 20 Ireland 22 match report: Ireland hold on to give Brian O'Driscoll perfect end to glittering career
Michael Schumacher: Sebastian Vettel pays tribute to F1 legend with special helmet for Australian Grand Prix
Manchester United 0 Liverpool 3 player ratings: Who scored highest - Steven Gerrard or Luis Suarez?
Mo Farah allays health fears after passing out in New York half-marathon defeat
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 Q&A by Simon Calder: How far could it have travelled? Who was responsible and what would their plans be? And how can a plane just vanish?
- 4 California man Christopher Viatafa surrenders to police after googling own name and discovering himself listed as ‘most wanted’
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Ukip and Nigel Farage on course for remarkable victory in European elections
Tony Benn was entirely ineffectual - and usually wrong
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'