Richards may forsake £2m to sign for Spurs

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Dean Richards was last night considering whether to surrender a reported personal windfall of almost £2 million in order to force through his £8m move from Southampton to Tottenham.

The 27-year-old centre-back apparently has a "percentage sell-on" clause in his four-year contract believed to be around 20 per cent, and the player said yesterday that he stands to make £1.8m from his transfer to White Hart Lane.

"I am aware Spurs have increased their offer and the clubs are now very close," he said. "I believe Saints want £8.2m but I have a sell-on clause which takes it to £10m in total. That is something I will have to think about if the clubs agree a fee."

Spurs confirmed that that they have tabled a fresh bid, double last month's failed £4m offer and £500,000 more than the rejected £7.5m offer at the weekend.

The Tottenham manager, Glenn Hoddle, is trying to sign the young Danish goalkeeper Kevin Ellegaard from FC Copenhagen in a £250,000 deal. Hoddle has offered cash sum for the 19-year-old, who is currently on loan at the Danish First Division side Farum.

Southampton have told the German striker Uwe Rosler he can leave the club on a free transfer.

The former international started the first three Premiership matches of the season but lost his place in the first team for last week's Worthington Cup match at Brighton and was not in the squad for Saturday's win at Bolton.

The Saints are apparently also interested in signing the striker Thorstein Helstad from Brann Bergen.

Everton have decided to end Danny Cadamarteri's days at Goodison Park after the player was found guilty of punching a woman. The club have announced that the 21-year-old striker will be allowed to leave "when suitable arrangements can be made".

Cadamarteri was fined £2,000 for punching a young woman during a late night fracas last October. The club have agreed that the player will donate to local charities a sum equivalent to the amount of legal aid he received to fight his case.

Kevin Keegan is making a £3m move to sign the Cameroon international Lucien Mettomo. Mettomo, who plays for the French side St-Etienne, has flown in for talks.

The Middlesbrough manager, Steve McClaren, will be told today that he cannot sign the South African striker Benni McCarthy. Boro had hoped to unveil the Celta Vigo striker today, but the special appeals committee has upheld a decision to deny McCarthy a work permit because the player has not won enough international caps over the past two years.

David Ginola wants to put the record straight following speculation surrounding his future at Aston Villa. The French winger has announced that he will hold a press conference next week when he will answer questions about his current situation at Villa Park, and talk about his future.

Chesterfield's future at Saltergate is safe for the foreseeable future after being granted a licence by the Football Licencing Authority. The local ground safety advisory group gave the all-clear to use three sides of the ground again after reviewing the new terracing at the ends of the Kop and Cross Street.

Blackburn's central defender Craig Short has undergone knee surgery and could be out for more than a month.

The Carlisle United manager, Roddy Collins, has transfer-listed eight first-team players. Mark Thurston, Ian Stevens, Will Varty, Paul Anthony, Craig Lewis, Kyle May, Stuart Elliott and Lee Maddison have all been told they can leave on free transfers or loan deals.

Comments