Round-up: Cardiff stay grounded by Norwood's late rocket
Thursday 22 March 2012
Stuttering Cardiff missed out on moving back into the Championship play-off places when a last-minute Oliver Norwood equaliser earned Coventry a 2-2 draw in South Wales.
Malky Mackay's side have struggled to string results together since their Carling Cup final defeat to Liverpool last month and looked to be heading for victory when Peter Whittingham made it 2-1 with seven minutes to go when he arrowed an effort into the bottom right-hand corner . However, Norwood fired home from 25 yards after Gary McSheffrey's pass found its way to his feet.
Earlier, Cardiff took the lead just after the quarter-hour, with Coventry forward Cody McDonald putting through his own net. The home side were thoroughly tested by Coventry and were fortunate not to be pegged back when McSheffrey missed a 51st-minute penalty. McSheffrey then hit a post before Jordan Clarke equalised for Coventry with 20 minutes remaining
Coventry's point brings them three points away from moving out ofthe bottom three, with Andy Thorn's side three points adrift of Bristol City in 21st place.
Meanwhile Michael Chopra earned Ipswich a 1-0 win over Burnley at Portman Road. Paul Jewell's side had Grant Leadbitter sent off in the final minute but hung on to claim a fifth straight home win.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Michelle Rodriguez: Fast & Furious actor apologises after telling 'minorities' to stop taking on 'white' roles
- 2 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face the death penalty
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
- 5 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Russia's roadmap for annexing eastern Ukraine 'leaked from Vladimir Putin's office'
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'