Scott departs at Notts County as Brazil moves up

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Jocky Scott has parted company with Second Division Notts County. He took over as manager at Meadow Lane in June 2000, but has left the club after a disappointing start to the season, in which they have won only four of their 11 games.

His assistant, Gary Brazil, has replaced him in the new role of head coach. The 39-year-old previously managed the Magpies for the 1999-2000 season. Peter Fox has been named assistant coach to Brazil.

The Notts County chairman elect, Peter Storrie, blamed Scott's style of management for his departure. "Jocky stayed on last year after new owners took over the club and helped to see us through a challenging transition," Storrie said. "Unfortunately, his straightforward management style and temperament increasingly conflicted with a more open relationship with others, from supporters and the media to the staff and board.

The Macclesfield chief executive, Colin Garlick, said his club would be keen to bring in Denis Irwin for the vacant manager's job if the Manchester United full-back was interested.

Gil Prescott stepped down as manager on Monday to concentrate on his other role as director of football. Irwin, who turns 36 at the end of this month, is expected to end his 11-year spell at Old Trafford at the end of the season, when his contract runs out. Garlick denied, however, that the Silkmen had made an approach for the Republic of Ireland international, but said: "We'd be interested if Denis was interested."

Burnley are signing Manchester City's unsettled midfielder Tony Grant for £300,000.

Fulham have signed the 15-year-old Welsh midfielder Matthew Collins from Swindon Town. The highly rated Wales Under-17 international, who was also attracting interest from Manchester City, has moved to Craven Cottage after advice from his parents.

Dundee are in discussions with Crystal Palace over the possible signing of the Chinese defender Fan Zhiyi. The 31-year-old helped his country qualify for the World Cup finals with a victory over Oman at the weekend.

Bury are facing the prospect of losing their ground after a £1m lawsuit was issued against the club to ensure repayment of the mortgage taken out on Gigg Lane.

The Shakers, who are in financial trouble and are bottom of the Second Division, took the mortgage out with Richard Prentice & Co, but the company was closed down by the High Court last year. The High Court directed that the Russell-Cooke Trust enforce the mortgage, and although the club believed that they had a 15-year term, full payment plus interest was demanded in January, and a writ was issued against the club in May. Bury, already in the middle of protracted takeover procedures, are now seeking an alternative mortgage provider.

Bolton Wanderers' 22-year-old full-back Dean Holden has joined Oldham Athletic on a month's loan.

Comments