Scottish preview: Sutton available for call-up after Celtic fail to overturn Agathe ban

Click to follow
The Independent Football

Celtic will be without the suspended Didier Agathe for today's Premier League match with Motherwell at Parkhead.

Despite Martin O'Neill's best efforts, the Scottish Football Association refused to overturn the decision by the referee Dougie McDonald to send off the winger in last Saturday's 1-0 win at Dundee. Fortunately for the Celtic manager, however, he can call on Chris Sutton after he finished serving a five-match ban last week.

O'Neill also looks set to freshen up his side after the Champions' League defeat to Bayern Munich in midweek. That could mean a debut for the on-loan Michael Gray while Robert Douglas could replace Magnus Hedman after his costly midweek howler. Joos Valgaeren could make a long-awaited return to the bench after recovering from a hamstring problem.

The Rangers defender Fernando Ricksen has joined his side's growing injury list ahead of tomorrow's Premier League trip to Hearts. The versatile Dutch international suffered concussion after a clash of heads with his team-mate Henning Berg in Tuesday's Champions' League victory over Stuttgart at Ibrox and has failed to recover.

Ronald de Boer (knee), Craig Moore (hamstring) and Steven Thompson (knee) are still out, but Egil Ostenstad is in line to make his debut, although he is likely to be on the bench.

Hearts have been boosted by the return of midfielder Jean-Louis Valois to training but their head coach, Craig Levein, will not risk the Frenchman. Now Levein has only the striker Gary Wales still on the sidelines with a foot problem.

The Dundee United manager, Ian McCall, has only one absentee for today's trip to Partick. The defender Scott Paterson still has a knee problem and misses out on playing against his former club. McCall is looking for his first win of the season.

Hibernian have just one player missing for this afternoon's trip to Dunfermline. The defender Gary Smith has been ruled out for up to two months after an appendix operation.