Southampton close on title following Rickie Lambert brace
Tuesday 10 April 2012
Southampton moved three points clear of title rivals Reading after their 2-0 win over Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park. The Championship's leading scorer Rickie Lambert scored both goals to take his tally to 26 this season.
Reading could draw level on points at the top tonight if they win at Brighton. Near the bottom, Bristol City beat fellow relegation strugglers Coventry 3-1. Jon Stead's second-half equaliser for City made amends for his early own goal, while substitutes Yannick Bolasie and Chris Wood bagged late goals, keeping them in 21st, four points clear of the Sky Blues.
Latest in Sport
- 1 End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
- 2 This restaurant has misunderstood the concept of 'cheese and biscuits'
- 3 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face death penalty
- 4 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 5 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut