Southampton close on title following Rickie Lambert brace
Tuesday 10 April 2012
Southampton moved three points clear of title rivals Reading after their 2-0 win over Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park. The Championship's leading scorer Rickie Lambert scored both goals to take his tally to 26 this season.
Reading could draw level on points at the top tonight if they win at Brighton. Near the bottom, Bristol City beat fellow relegation strugglers Coventry 3-1. Jon Stead's second-half equaliser for City made amends for his early own goal, while substitutes Yannick Bolasie and Chris Wood bagged late goals, keeping them in 21st, four points clear of the Sky Blues.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 2 People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
- 3 Van driver who comforted Clark Carlisle and called 999 after suicide attempt dies age 24
- 4 James Blunt was special guest on the highest-rating Top Gear episode ever
- 5 The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts