Stewart will be fit to start next season
QPR defender to return without surgery after scans show no more skull damage
Wednesday 14 April 2010
Queen's Park Rangers defender Damion Stewart does not require surgery and will be fit in time for pre-season training after fracturing his skull on Saturday.
Stewart was involved in a sickening collision with Crystal Palace striker Calvin Andrew inside the first minute at Selhurst Park on Saturday and suffered internal bleeding as well as the fracture. Head physio Paul Hunter said: "The results of the scans have given us some good news in the respect that there's no further damage to what we were already aware of.
"These tests are more detailed than the original ones carried out at Mayday Hospital so could potentially have provided us with extra cause for concern. Thankfully, that's not the case.
"Damion will have a precautionary brain scan on Thursday and will remain in hospital for the rest of the week. He's currently at greater risk of developing infections so we need to keep a close eye on him. No surgery is required, and having spoken with the surgeon, he is confident Damion will be ready for pre-season training."
Manager Dave Jones feels Joe Ledley is right not to decide on his future until he knows which division Cardiff City will be in next season.
The 23-year-old midfielder's deal is up in the summer and he has been in a contract stalemate with his home-town club for the majority of the campaign. Championship play-off-chasing Cardiff have turned down bids for Ledley this season and hope they can win promotion to the top flight themselves.
Jones told BBC Wales: "If I was him I'd wait until the end of the season to see what happens to us. That would've been my stance from the start and I have no problem with that."
Former Manchester United striker Andy Cole would consider a return to coaching at Huddersfield should they secure promotion to the Championship this season.
The 38-year-old enjoyed a spell with the Terriers earlier this term coaching the club's strikers two days a week but opted to take a step back to concentrate on other things.
However, Cole admits he is eager to one day follow Town boss and former Newcastle team-mate Lee Clark into management and would relish a return to coaching should the right opportunity present itself.
"I have been good friends with Lee for numerous years," he said. "I went there for two days a week but then they wanted me to do four days a week, however I felt that constituted a full-time job.
"At the time they couldn't work out a package for me so I thought the best thing was to step away and if they got promoted Lee said we could sit down and talk then."
Norwich City manager Paul Lambert and head of football operations Gary Karsa have been charged with misconduct by the Football Association.
The charge relates to the League One leaders' 3-1 defeat to Tranmere at Prenton Park on Good Friday.
During the game, Lambert was sent to the stands by referee Eddie Ilderton after he had stepped on to the pitch to kick the ball back for a free-kick to be taken. Karsa followed him after reacting angrily to the decision. Both men have until 15 April to respond to the charge.
Latest in Sport
Diego Costa injury: Chelsea striker a doubt for Everton match due to muscle injury
Mario Balotelli posts hilarious Beatles picture on Instagram as he awaits Liverpool debut
Arsenal transfer news: Arsene Wenger says he will be 'actively involved' on deadline day... but may not buy a striker despite Giroud injury
Arsenal vs Besiktas player ratings: Alexis Sanchez? Jack Wilshere? Mesut Ozil? Who was the star man at the Emirates Stadium?
Champions League draw: Liverpool meet Real Madrid, but should they fear facing the reigning champions?
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage