Swindon express 'disappointment' after Paolo Di Canio walks out
Italian manager resigned last night
Tuesday 19 February 2013
Swindon's board were last night left to rue manager Paolo Di Canio's resignation and pledged to try and sort out their affairs in order to achieve promotion to the Championship.
Town head to Tranmere tonight under the care of Fabrizio Piccareta, knowing a win would put them top of League One, a fact which makes the off-the-field happenings at the County Ground all the more unbelievable.
Di Canio has walked away owing to the takeover of the club by a consortium not being ratified by a deadline he had imposed of 5pm yesterday, with the Italian no longer able to handle the uncertainty he felt was undermining their season.
He announced his departure in a statement released by his agent, with Swindon's current board responding to it late last night.
The club statement read: "The board are disappointed that Paolo Di Canio has made the decision to resign at such a critical time for Swindon Town Football Club.
"We are also disappointed that the sale of the club has yet to be approved, but we hope the outstanding issues with the Football League will be resolved within a short period of time.
"It is worth noting that Matt Ritchie was sold due to the tremendous financial pressure the club is facing and in order to continue operating whilst the sale of the club went through.
"We understand the prospective new owners had reached agreement with Paolo Di Canio on bringing in loan players to strengthen the squad for a final push for the Championship.
"Until the situation has been resolved, Fabrizio Piccareta will be in temporary charge of the team as we travel to Tranmere Rovers tomorrow, where a win would see Swindon become leaders of League One.
"The board shares the fans' tremendous frustration at the events of the last few weeks and is determined to resolve these issues to ensure the best outcome for the club."
The aforementioned sale of Ritchie to Bournemouth was the straw that broke the camel's back for Di Canio, a 44-year-old who has never shied away from drama.
Town have been the subject of a takeover bid for some time and Di Canio, who claimed to have first tendered his resignation last Tuesday, had pledged to stay if the deal was ratified yesterday.
No transaction was confirmed, though, and the former West Ham striker issued a statement through his agent, Phil Spencer, confirming he had quit.
"Last Tuesday, 12th February, I formally confirmed my resignation as manager of Swindon Town Football Club with immediate effect," said Di Canio.
"There have been a number of broken promises made by the club over the time that I have been manager of Swindon Town.
"Despite these problems, I have delivered everything and more that was asked of me, by achieving promotion last year as champions and competing this season for promotion to the Championship and being just three points from top place a year earlier than expected."
"At a meeting last Friday the proposed new owners accepted and said they were very happy with the new terms.
"I entered into a temporary arrangement with the proposed new owners to continue in my role as manager but all this was agreed subject to Football League approval for the purchase of the club being granted by 5:00pm on Monday 18th February.
"At the time of issuing this statement, I have had no further contact from the proposed new owners and I have been told that unfortunately Football League approval has not been granted yet and therefore my temporary arrangement has ended and my resignation stands."
Di Canio leaves Swindon sixth in League One, three points off top spot.
Latest in Sport
Manchester United teased by Monaco after claims they could have signed 'Luis Suarez of Neymar' instead or £58m Anthony Martial
Former Manchester United star Karel Poborsky goes full hipster
England vs San Marino, Euro 2016 qualifier: Jamie Vardy cleared to make first start for country
Manchester United hit back at Real Madrid by claiming they let David De Gea 'slip through their fingers into the back of the net'
Serie B introduces 'green cards' to promote good behaviour, fair play and sportsmanship
- 1 What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
- 3 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 250,000 back our campaign
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees