Vassell on verge of Leicester switch
Tuesday 19 October 2010
Leicester are close to signing former Aston Villa and Manchester City striker Darius Vassell.
The 30-year-old, who played under new Foxes boss Sven-Goran Eriksson at Eastlands and was handed his England debut by the Swede, is a free agent after leaving Turkish side Ankaragucu and underwent a medical last night.
Eriksson is keen to reshape the squad at the Walkers Stadium and has already signed defenders Curtis Davies and Kyle Naughton on loan deals from Aston Villa and Tottenham respectively.
Vassell, who began his career with Aston Villa and signed for Manchester City in a £2million deal in the summer of 2005, has been without a club since leaving Ankaragucu in May and is not match fit.
Vassell made 22 appearances for England and scored six goals.
Latest in Sport
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Alicia Keys leaks nude photo 'to create a kinder and more peaceful world'
- 5 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God