Warnock steps in to stop tunnel row

Coca-Cola Championship round-up
Click to follow
The Independent Football

"It was a drab game, there was more action in the tunnel," Warnock said, "but I didn't see any of it." Bircham, who scored Rangers' first goal, had been "having a dig, and he doesn't need to do those things. But it will be interesting when they come back to our place."

The hard-working London side took the lead early in the second half, Bircham firing in. Rangers doubled their lead in the final minute through Stefan Moore but Steve Kabba still found time to grab a goal back. It stayed 2-1 and QPR go second.

That Wolves are among the leading pack is no surprise, but they had to toil for 90 minutes against a determined Hull City, running out 1-0 winners thanks to Ki-Hyeon Seol's skill. He tricked his way to the byline after beating two players and toe-poked a cross that was turned in to his own net by Damien Delaney.

Manager Glenn Hoddle was wholly satisfied. "The only let-down was that we didn't score more goals. We need to punish teams, this afternoon we should have been out of sight."

After two draws Derby County registered their first win of the season, 2-0 at Plymouth. A Grzegorz Rasiak header gave them a 20th- minute lead, and six minutes before half-time the Pole won another header for Morten Bisgaard to wrap up the scoring. "The best first-half performance since I took over," Phil Brown, who assumed control in the summer, said.

But Preston North End were dealt a harsh lesson in finishing by Reading at Deepdale in a 3-0 home defeat, Leroy Lita, a £1m signing from Bristol City, scoring twice. "This time last Saturday the end of the world was nigh," Steve Coppell, the Royals manager, remembered, "but in two games since then it's been delayed a bit."

Oh how they craved just one of those goals at the Walkers Stadium, where Leicester City and Ipswich Town, who had to use two goalkeepers, drew 0-0.

Crewe kept their unbeaten start intact when Mark Rivers and Michael Higdon gave them a 2-1 lead at Brighton, but Dario Gradi's side had to settle for a draw when Dean Hammond equalised. And Burnley picked up their first points of the season when they crushed visitors Coventry City, playing their third away game in eight days, 4-0. After first-half goals by Gareth O'Connor and Wayne Thomas, a Clarets missed penalty, and a red card for Stephen Hughes for protesting its award, Ade Akinbiyi scored twice.

For the first time this season Stoke City managed to get through a game with all 11 men on the pitch at the final whistle and, guess what, they beat bottom-of-the-table Millwall, John Halls scoring late in the first half.

No League One side has a 100 per cent record after three matches. Walsall were held 2-2 by Southend United, while Swansea City had Kristian O'Leary and Izzy Iriekpen sent off in their 3-1 defeat at Huddersfield Town. In fact the only side with a perfect record after three games are League Two leaders Leyton Orient. They earned a nine-point haul after a 1-0 win at Darlington. The meeting between the sides promoted from the Conference ended with a 3-1 win for champions Barnet at Carlisle United.