Football: most read in 2008
Wednesday 24 December 2008
The transfer market provided the most fevered reading for football fans on the Independent website this year.
The transfer round-up was the most read, fuelled by the daily summer speculation over Cristiano Ronaldo, Dimitar Berbatov and Robinho.
Transfer deadline day, and Arsenal’s attempt to capture Alonso, as well as the round-up pages for the Londoners, Liverpool, Tottenham and Manchester United also pricked your interest.
Ronaldinho’s first Milan derby also gained a lot of attention as did our round-up of bizarre football injury, prompted by Stoke’s Liam Lawrence tripping over a dog lead.
Football finance was never far from your thoughts – with Uefa’s threatened ban on indebted clubs and the inside story of The girl from Doncaster who became the toast of Abu Dhabi – and Manchester City. Finance of another kid, as ridiculed by Rio Ferdinand when he attacked the Wags era circus of previous England management regimes.
And an ancient feud was resurrected when Alex Ferguson revealed he would never talk to the BBC again.
The top football articles in 2008
- Latest news and transfer speculation for your club
- Arsenal attempt to capture Alonso on hectic deadline day
- Arsenal summer transfers
- Ronaldinho waits in the wings for Milan derby
- Liverpool January transfers
- Manchester United summer transfers
- Lawrence dogged by injury
- Ferguson will never talk to the BBC again
- Tottenham Hotspur summer transfers
- Uefa threatens indebted clubs with European ban
- Wags circus era ridiculed by Ferdinand
- The girl from Doncaster who became the toast of Abu Dhabi
Latest in Sport
Paul Scholes: Manchester United vs Liverpool - I don't understand why Brendan Rodgers was not more attacking against Basel
Jesus Christ plays for Chelsea - that's what one in five children thinks
Transfer Talk: Nemanja Vidic to return to Manchester United; Hazard to leave Chelsea; Sunderland want Radamel Falcao
Frank Warren column: Don't bet on Amir Khan landing pay day against Floyd Mayweather
Manchester United transfer news: Kevin Strootman move edges closer
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
Nigel Farage's approval rating hits 'record low' as popularity suffers in wake of Ukip sex scandal
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
Pakistan school attack live: Taliban kill at least 132 children in 'horrifying' massacre
Sony hack: Angelina Jolie branded 'seriously out of her mind' in further embarrassing leaked email saga
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food