The transfer market provided the most fevered reading for football fans on the Independent website this year.
The transfer round-up was the most read, fuelled by the daily summer speculation over Cristiano Ronaldo, Dimitar Berbatov and Robinho.
Transfer deadline day, and Arsenal’s attempt to capture Alonso, as well as the round-up pages for the Londoners, Liverpool, Tottenham and Manchester United also pricked your interest.
Ronaldinho’s first Milan derby also gained a lot of attention as did our round-up of bizarre football injury, prompted by Stoke’s Liam Lawrence tripping over a dog lead.
Football finance was never far from your thoughts – with Uefa’s threatened ban on indebted clubs and the inside story of The girl from Doncaster who became the toast of Abu Dhabi – and Manchester City. Finance of another kid, as ridiculed by Rio Ferdinand when he attacked the Wags era circus of previous England management regimes.
And an ancient feud was resurrected when Alex Ferguson revealed he would never talk to the BBC again.
The top football articles in 2008
- Latest news and transfer speculation for your club
- Arsenal attempt to capture Alonso on hectic deadline day
- Arsenal summer transfers
- Ronaldinho waits in the wings for Milan derby
- Liverpool January transfers
- Manchester United summer transfers
- Lawrence dogged by injury
- Ferguson will never talk to the BBC again
- Tottenham Hotspur summer transfers
- Uefa threatens indebted clubs with European ban
- Wags circus era ridiculed by Ferdinand
- The girl from Doncaster who became the toast of Abu Dhabi