Football: most read in 2008
Wednesday 24 December 2008
The transfer market provided the most fevered reading for football fans on the Independent website this year.
The transfer round-up was the most read, fuelled by the daily summer speculation over Cristiano Ronaldo, Dimitar Berbatov and Robinho.
Transfer deadline day, and Arsenal’s attempt to capture Alonso, as well as the round-up pages for the Londoners, Liverpool, Tottenham and Manchester United also pricked your interest.
Ronaldinho’s first Milan derby also gained a lot of attention as did our round-up of bizarre football injury, prompted by Stoke’s Liam Lawrence tripping over a dog lead.
Football finance was never far from your thoughts – with Uefa’s threatened ban on indebted clubs and the inside story of The girl from Doncaster who became the toast of Abu Dhabi – and Manchester City. Finance of another kid, as ridiculed by Rio Ferdinand when he attacked the Wags era circus of previous England management regimes.
And an ancient feud was resurrected when Alex Ferguson revealed he would never talk to the BBC again.
The top football articles in 2008
- Latest news and transfer speculation for your club
- Arsenal attempt to capture Alonso on hectic deadline day
- Arsenal summer transfers
- Ronaldinho waits in the wings for Milan derby
- Liverpool January transfers
- Manchester United summer transfers
- Lawrence dogged by injury
- Ferguson will never talk to the BBC again
- Tottenham Hotspur summer transfers
- Uefa threatens indebted clubs with European ban
- Wags circus era ridiculed by Ferdinand
- The girl from Doncaster who became the toast of Abu Dhabi
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Board creates magnetic field to achieve lift
Latest in Sport
- 1 Salisbury ranked seventh-best city in the world to visit in Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2015
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 5 Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world