Adnan Januzaj chooses to play for Belgium and may now go to the World Cup
The Manchester United forward was eligable to play for the Three Lions under residency conditions, but has opted for the country of his birth
Manchester United's Adnan Januzaj will not be playing for England after all. The Belgium manager Marc Wilmots announced on Twitter that the teenager had declared for them, the country of his birth.
The Football Association has been in talks with representatives of Januzaj, initiated by the player's side, about the possibility of him representing England. Born in Brussels to Kosovan-Albanian parents, he would have been eligible to play for England under residency conditions in 2016. As well as the nationalities of his parents, he could have played for Turkey.
There was contact between the FA and the Januzaj camp, and an open mind kept about the prospect of him playing for England despite the controversy the idea attracted when first floated.
But Wilmots tweeted: "I have received official confirmation that Adnan Januzaj will represent the Belgian national side for the rest of his career".
Latest in Sport
Arsene Wenger 18th anniversary at Arsenal: His WORST signings XI during his time with the Gunners
18 things Wenger has still never done at Arsenal
Arsene Wenger's worst signings XI
Colombian women's cycling team kit that makes wearer appear naked is branded 'unacceptable' by UCI president
Nani: On loan Sporting Lisbon winger admits he may not return to Manchester United
- 1 Snoop Dogg and Jared Leto buy a stake in Reddit as A-list invests $50m
- 2 Prince held a Facebook Q&A and this is the only question he answered...
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 35,000 walrus gather ashore on north-west Alaska beach 'for a rest'
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'