African Cup of Nations: Happy return for Ethiopia
Monday 21 January 2013
Ethiopia celebrated their return to the African Cup of Nations after a 33-year absence by holding defending champions Zambia to a 1-1 draw in Nelspruit.
There were around 10,000 Ethiopia fans at the Mbombela Stadium and they hurled vuvuzelas and debris in anger after the first-half sending off of goalkeeper Jemal Tassew. However, Adane Girma's 65th-minute strike lifted their spirits and cancelled out Collins Mbesuma's goal, after Ethiopia's Saladin Seida had missed a penalty.
In the other game in Group C, Alain Traoré equalised with the last kick of the game to earn Burkina Faso a 1-1 draw with Nigeria.
Latest in Sport
Liverpool, Chelsea or Manchester City: Who will be the eventual winners in the race for the Premier League title?
Daniel Sturridge injury: Liverpool striker to have tests on hamstring problem
Transfer news: Diego Costa move to Chelsea impossible to stop, admits Diego Simeone
Fulham so grateful to faithful fans the players have been calling them to say thanks for renewing their season tickets
Hillsborough disaster anniversary: Brendan Rodgers and Roberto Martinez among those at Anfield to pay tribute to the 96 who lost their lives
- 1 Refugee facing deportation from Sweden saved by fellow passengers refusing to let plane leave
- 2 The best movies on Netflix: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
- 3 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 4 What's in the safe? Man live-photographs cracking of mysterious locked box on Reddit
- 5 Drugs giant GlaxoSmithKline bribed doctors to boost sales, says whistleblower