African Cup of Nations: Happy return for Ethiopia
Monday 21 January 2013
Ethiopia celebrated their return to the African Cup of Nations after a 33-year absence by holding defending champions Zambia to a 1-1 draw in Nelspruit.
There were around 10,000 Ethiopia fans at the Mbombela Stadium and they hurled vuvuzelas and debris in anger after the first-half sending off of goalkeeper Jemal Tassew. However, Adane Girma's 65th-minute strike lifted their spirits and cancelled out Collins Mbesuma's goal, after Ethiopia's Saladin Seida had missed a penalty.
In the other game in Group C, Alain Traoré equalised with the last kick of the game to earn Burkina Faso a 1-1 draw with Nigeria.
Latest in Sport
Lionel Messi vs Cristiano Ronaldo: Compare the Barcelona and Real Madrid players in El Clasico
Paul Scholes column: I'm not worried about Manchester United's defence - Chelsea test can be the making of Phil Jones and Marcos Rojo
Manchester United vs Chelsea: Jose Mourinho to push for Diego Costa to play at Old Trafford
Sunderland vs Arsenal: Premier League match preview
Real Madrid vs Barcelona: Why will the first 15 minutes of El Clasico not be shown on British TV?
- 1 Russell Brand says he will 'probably' give up acting to focus on his revolution
- 2 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 3 David Beckham's Haig Club whisky is exactly what’s wrong with the Highlands
- 4 Queen's first tweet: Reply telling Her Majesty to 'f*** off' broadcast on BBC News
- 5 #AskNigelFarage: Twitter starts hilarious Q&A for Ukip leader