African Nations Cup: Team-by-team preview
Friday 20 January 2012
The 2012 African Nations Cup, which is being co-hosted by Gabon and Equatorial Guine, begins tomorrow.
While some of Africa's biggest teams are absent due to their failure to qualify, including Cameroon, Egypt, Nigeria and South Africa, the tournament still promises to showcase some of the world's best players.
Here, we assess the 16 teams in action, and analyse who will most likely be in the final in Libreville come February 12.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
Latest in Sport
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant