Amos in under-21 squad
Monday 28 March 2011
England Under-21s were yesterday hit by further withdrawals from the squad for tonight's friendly against Iceland.
Arsenal full-back Kieran Gibbs and Blackburn goalkeeper Frankie Fielding were sent back to their clubs after picking up injuries ahead of the game at Preston's Deepdale Stadium.
Head coach Stuart Pearce reacted by handing maiden call-ups to Manchester United keeper Ben Amos (above) and midfielders Adam Hammill (Wolves) and Jordon Mutch (Birmingham). Nathan Baker (Aston Villa) and Jordan Spence (West Ham) could also make their Under-21 debuts after joining the squad.
The raft of call-ups follows Pearce's decision to allow Sunderland duo Jordan Henderson and Danny Welbeck, Manchester United's Chris Smalling and Bolton pair Fabrice Muamba and Daniel Sturridge to return to their clubs.
Latest in Sport
UFC 190 Ronda Rousey vs Bethe Correia: What time does it start and where can I watch it, plus Mauricio Rua vs Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
Norwich City mocked after revealing terrible new third kit - which is also yellow and green
Manchester United 2015/16 kit unveiled: Morgan Schneiderlin leads the Adidas campaign as new shirt is launched
The unlikely rise of AFC Bournemouth - and what it says about English life
Mario Balotelli told he has no future at Liverpool as striker trains away from first-team
- 1 Windows 10: man updates PC, wakes up to find porn slideshow on repeat
- 2 The 'world's most beautiful vagina' has been debunked by science
- 3 John Green schools morning show hosts after awkward interview with Cara Delevingne
- 4 Bulletproof armadillo puts Texas man in hospital after shot bounces off hard shell
- 5 Doctors declare war on Jeremy Hunt over weekend working 'myths' amid plan for seven day NHS