Anelka says France team were united over boycott
One might think Nicolas Anelka would want to keep his head down and his mouth shut following his expulsion from the France camp during the country's embarrassing World Cup campaign for insulting the manager, Raymond Domenech. But the striker was back on the attack yesterday, insisting that the whole camp had been united behind him and criticising the former player Bixente Lizarazu for speaking out.
The rest of the France squad opted to strike in support of Anelka after the Chelsea player was sent home from the tournament following a row with Domenech. The disruption was followed by Les Bleus losing their final group game 2-1 to South Africa and going out of the tournament.
Reports in the French media have suggested some members of the squad were coerced into taking part in the strike, but Anelka said that had not been the case. "Everyone, and I mean everyone, was united," the 31-year-old said. "If there were players who wanted to train, they should speak now. But I am 100 per cent certain that nobody will. If it was not from me that everything was precipitated, this would have happened with someone else. It had to explode."
His team-mate Jérémy Toulalan accepted the whole squad should be punished for boycotting training, saying: "I'm not proud of what I did but I accept responsibility. There were no ringleaders and no slaves, no good guys and no bad guys. We were all involved and we are all responsible because nobody said a word [against the boycott]."
Anelka appreciated the Lyons midfielder's stance. "It takes a form of courage and a strong mentality from Jérémy to take it. I am proud to have played with him and the team of France. Jérémy is a players' player."
Anelka was not so complimentary about former France full-back Lizarazu, who accused the forward of "strolling" and playing "in a selfish manner". Anelka responded by asking: "Lizarazu – who is he? When he speaks and we listen, we seem to hear a living legend. He's just a former player in lack of recognition, frustrated by the success of his mates [Zinedine] Zidane and [Christophe] Dugarry. Has he forgotten that he was at the 2002 World Cup? I was not included in the squad but I refrained from comment. He should stop talking about respect."
Latest in Sport
The spread betting firms are very slow about pricing up this game and you can understand why. All th...
by Gareth Purnell
20 June 2013 02:01 AM
The Prince of Wales Stakes today is regarded by many as the No1 race of the Royal Ascot meeting and ...
by Gareth Purnell
19 June 2013 02:01 AM
Today’s St James Palace looks a cracker and there has been sustained money for Dawn Approach since t...
by Gareth Purnell
18 June 2013 02:01 AM
ACT Brumbies v British and Irish Lions - player ratings
Newcastle owner Mike Ashley wants blood after last season's trauma - and it won't stop with managing director Derek Llambias
Exclusive: Newcastle United's star talent-spotter Graham Carr on brink as Joe Kinnear sparks walkout at St James' Park
Exclusive: Cristiano Ronaldo advised to stay at Real Madrid for further 18 months before making possible switch to Manchester United
Lions 2013: Scrum king Alex Corbisiero named in Warren Gatland's side for First Test against Australia on Saturday
- 1 ‘Hello, NME? I’d like to complain about your Tom Odell review. Why? I’m his dad’
- 2 Richard Nieuwenhuizen death: Six teenagers and 50-year-old father convicted of manslaughter in shocking case of referee killed over a game of football
- 3 Exclusive: Newcastle United's star talent-spotter Graham Carr on brink as Joe Kinnear sparks walkout at St James' Park
- 4 Vast methane 'plumes' seen in Arctic ocean as sea ice retreats
- 5 From charmer to bully: My encounter with Charles Saatchi