Argentina 1 Iran 0 player ratings: Lionel Messi or Ashkan Dejagah - who rated higher?
Man-for-man marking from the World Cup Group F encounter
Saturday 21 June 2014
Argentina required heroics from Lionel Messi as the talismanic forward scored an injury-time winner to secure qualification from World Cup Group F.
The Barcelona man bent home a decisive goal in the dying embers of a match in which the hard-working Iranians did enough to take all three points themselves.
Both goalkeepers looked to be unbeatable as Sergio Aguero had Argentina's best chance and Reza Ghoochannejhad came close on more than one occasion for the underdogs, who also saw a strong penalty claim turned down as they slipped to a 1-0 loss.
It was a cruel result for Iran who had defended doggedly against Argentina's much-vaunted attack but like so many other sides before they could not quite stop Messi.
So how did each player get on in the closely fought tie?
Click on the gallery below to find out.
Do you agree? Leave your thoughts in the comment box below.
Latest in Sport
Arsenal vs Tottenham player ratings: Mesut Ozil? Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain? Nacer Chadli? Who was the star man at the Emirates?
Colombian women's cycling team kit that makes wearer appear naked is branded 'unacceptable' by UCI president
Husain Abdullah penalised after celebrating a touchdown with a Muslim prayer - causing mass outrage among fans
Manchester United risk Uefa row over plan to play lucrative midweek friendlies
Cristiano Ronaldo to Manchester United: 'Come home' banner flown over Real Madrid match
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 Expert urges cat lovers to own just one animal each
- 3 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper