Argentina vs Iran: Argentina owe it all to Lionel Messi
Argentina manager Alex Sabella declared last night “when you have Messi anything is possible” after the striker scored a last-minute winner to kill off one of the great underdog performances in World Cup history from Iran.
Carlos Queiroz, Iran’s manager, said he had wanted to win the game and claimed he was denied a penalty when Pablo Zabaleta tackled Reza Ghoochannejad, who was through on goal at the end.
“They got the result because they scored and it came from one of the best personalities,” said Queiroz. “It was a brilliant striker. The second personality was the referee because there was a clear penalty and in a game like this the small details make a difference. I’m very happy for my players but I am disappointed.
“You put strikers on the pitch because I wanted to win the match. My wish was to win the game. We needed to win the game. But when Messi is on the pitch he can change the game in a moment. If we had had the penalty, it would not have been so easy for him.”
Latest in Sport
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: Ghosts of past cast a massive shadow
Floyd Mayweather or Manny Pacquiao? Ricky Hatton, Mike Tyson, Ronda Rousey, George Foreman and more make their predictions
Frank Lampard's face drops when Holly Willoughby introduces him as a 'Man City legend'
What time does Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao start?
Kyle Walker dog video: Tottenham defender categorically denies 'disgusting' rumours
- 1 Frank Lampard's face drops when Holly Willoughby introduces him as a 'Man City legend'
- 2 Sofyen Belamouadden murder: The inside story of a crime that horrified Britain
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 The Visit: Trailer for M Night Shyamalan's latest horror film is terrifying
- 5 9/11: Iranian General accuses US of organising September 11 terror attacks