Argentina vs Iran World Cup 2014: Lionel Messi's late goal saves high-rolling gambler $350,000 (and nets $30,000 profit)
Massive bet on Argentina to beat Iran only earned the man $30,000
Sunday 22 June 2014
Lionel Messi's injury-time winner would not only have been celebrated in his homeland but very loudly at one casino in Las Vegas.
A high roller walked into the Tuscany Casino and staked $230,000 (£135,000) for Argentina to beat Iran.
The bet was the single biggest placed so far in the gambling capital of the world for the World Cup, the William Hill Sportsbook confirmed.
But not content with that massive outlay - and so confident that La Albiceleste would do the business against their minnow opponents - the same gambler then staked a further $120,000 (£70,000) on the same result.
Unfortunately for the high roller, Iran weren't reading from the script against Alejandro Sabella's team, and it took a moment of pure inspiration in the dying minutes for them to eke out a 1-0 win in Belo Horizonte.
Lionel Messi picked up the ball, ghosted past a player and curled a shot from outside the box into the corner in stoppage time.
How much did the gambler net from his $350,000 outlay?
A paltry $30,000 (£17,500) of profit.
Latest in Sport
Radamel Falcao exclusive: Forward says joining Manchester United is a 'dream come true'
Danny Welbeck to Arsenal: Arsene Wenger pictured in Rome as club close in on Manchester United striker for £17m
Radamel Falcao analysis: Manchester United have signed a top talent yet to hit his stride
Danny Welbeck signs for Arsenal: Gunners confirm signing of striker from Manchester United
Radamel Falcao to Manchester United: Louis van Gaal takes transfer spend beyond £140m - SIXTH most of any Premier league manager
- 1 Emma Watson on Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak: 'Even worse than seeing women's privacy violated is reading the comments'
- 2 Saudis risk new Muslim division with proposal to move Mohamed’s tomb
- 3 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 4 Cee Lo Green: It is only rape if the victim is conscious
- 5 Nigerian witch-finder Helen Ukpabio threatens legal action against human rights organisations