Aston Villa clarify comments regarding Richard Dunne injury
Monday 03 September 2012
Aston Villa have moved to defuse a row over the groin injury Richard Dunne suffered at Euro 2012.
The 32-year-old defender returned from the Republic of Ireland's campaign in Poland and Ukraine with a problem which required surgery, and is currently working his way back to fitness.
Villa last month expressed their disappointment at the situation, but have now issued a clarification.
A club statement said: "In a press release dated August 1, 2012, Aston Villa Football Club made a number of assertions and comments about the medical treatment received by Richard Dunne during his service with the Ireland team during the European Championships.
"We wish to acknowledge that Richard Dunne received the highest standard of medical care before and during the Championships and apologise to those involved in providing his treatment if any other impression was erroneously given."
Villa made their initial comments when confirming that both the defender and striker Gabriel Agbonlahor would miss the start of the new season through injury.
It said: "Richard Dunne will...be out of action for six to eight weeks, having undergone a procedure on a groin injury which he sustained and was not dealt with during the European Championships."
Dunne played the full 90 minutes in each of Ireland's three games at the finals, finishing on the losing side on each occasion against Croatia, Spain and Italy as Giovanni Trapattoni's men bowed out of the competition at the first hurdle.
He has since indicated his intention to continue his international career in talks with the Italian, although his injury means he will miss Friday's opening World Cup qualifier in Kazakhstan.
Latest in Sport
Hull v Arsenal: Arsene Wenger admits 'I am not in the best position' as contract uncertainty continues
West Ham confirm 20-year-old striker Dylan Tombides has died after battle with cancer
Monte Carlo Masters: Rafael Nadal infuriated by umpire's crackdown on his slow play
Manchester United transfer news: David Moyes watches Porto stars Eliaquim Mangala and Jackson Martinez as recruitment drive steps up a gear
Luis Suarez: Could Liverpool cash in on their star striker if they won the Premier League this season?
- 1 Are you turning into your dad? The top ten signs you've embraced dad-ism revealed as survey says 38 is age men turn into their father
- 2 Overheard in Waitrose: documenting the chatter in 'Britain's poshest supermarket'
- 3 Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy attacked as 'sinful'
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 5 Grace Dent on TV: Game of Thrones has jumped the shark