Australia vs Spain: David Villa in tears after being substituted at World Cup
The striker scored on his final appearance for La Roja
David Villa was unable to contain his emotions after his Spain career came to an end after being substituted against Australia.
The striker, who recently signed for New York City, broke down in tears on the bench after playing his last game in what has been an incredible spell for the national team that sees him leave the international stage as his country's leading all-time scorer.
Having not been used in the first two games, both losses that ended any hope Spain had of progressing to the next stage, Villa was used from the start in the Group B dead-rubber against Australia.
With Spain failing to score from open play prior to today's match, the 32-year-old managed to show what they will be missing when he scored after 36 minutes with a flick off the inside of his heel.
David Villa scores for Spain against Australia
The former Barcelona striker ends his Spain career with 58 goals in 96 appearances and the Euro 2008 trophy and 2010 World Cup to his name.
Latest in Sport
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: Ghosts of past cast a massive shadow
Mayweather-Pacquiao: Ricky Hatton, Mike Tyson, Ronda Rousey and more make their predictions
Frank Lampard's face drops when Holly Willoughby introduces him as a 'Man City legend'
Kyle Walker video: Tottenham defender categorically denies 'disgusting' rumours on Facebook
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: What time does it start and where can I watch it?
- 1 Frank Lampard's face drops when Holly Willoughby introduces him as a 'Man City legend'
- 2 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 3 The confessions of men who ordered mail-order brides
- 4 General Election 2015: Stephen Hawking says he will vote Labour
- 5 Yazidi sex slaves undergoing surgery to 'restore virginity' after being raped by Isis militants